• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cop kept my insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Devo_213

What is the name of your state?Texas

The officer never gave back my insurance card after I asked if I was going to get it back. Can my ticket be dismissed?

Shay-Pari'e

Devo_213 said:

The officer never gave back my insurance card after I asked if I was going to get it back. Can my ticket be dismissed?
Have you contacted your insurance company for another copy?

I would like to nominate this post for IAAL's list.

CdwJava

Devo_213 said:

Not for that, you can't.

You can call the agency to see if he still has it. Or, call your insurance company and get a new copy.

- Carl

D

Devo_213

So let me get this straight, a cop can not only give you a ticket for trying to get help, but can also inconvenience you by forcing you to go out of your way to get ANOTHER insurance card while driving around town without one and risking getting another ticket--because he kept it??

What a crock of B.S.

I got a ticket for SLOWLY pulling through a flare line and cones (didn't hit one either) in order to try to get directions. Mind you, it was cold and rainy (and 11pm) and the officer vehicle(s) were a good 20-30 feet past the beginning of the barrier. I made sure no one was around that I could hit (including the street workers) and did not go over 5 mph. My main intention was to stop right where the officers were and just ask if they knew an alternate route seeing as how my exit to ANOTHER HIGHWAY was closed. The minute I pull up they start freaking out making it seem like I put their lives in danger.

The officer not only was irate but demanded to see my insurance and registration without even acknowledging my request or the reason I was there.

He called me crazy and also informed me that I could get a ticket for doing what I did. I acted shocked and apologized. He disregarded that and immediately took my insurance card to his car. He seemed even more irked that I left my Drivers License at home that night. I told him I knew my license #, but he just wanted my D.O.B and full name (this was a first because I have never had a cop NOT take my D.L.# when I told them I knew it). As he was leaving I asked if I was going to get my insurance card back and he ignored me.

After waiting 10 minutes, he came back with a FREAKING ticket!!?? He then said that I need to get back on the highway and take the next exit. "It will be there that someone can give you directions".

Never even gave back my insurance card.

Jesus Christ. I always thought the police were supposed to be here to protect AND SERVE. Instead I am going to be forced to pay almost 200 dollars AND have to go out of my way to get ANOTHER insurance card.

All this just for directions??

CdwJava

Devo_213 said:
So let me get this straight, a cop can not only give you a ticket for trying to get help, but can also inconvenience you by forcing you to go out of your way to get ANOTHER insurance card while driving around town without one and risking getting another ticket--because he kept it??
Okay ... what exactly do you want to do, then? Have him arrested for theft? That won't happen because there is a lack of intent. If you get stopped again and have not received the new card that I am sure you ordered, show the cop the old ticket and explain what happened. If that doesn't work, then tell it to a judge later on.

Sure, it's a pain, but what do you WANT to happen?

I got a ticket for SLOWLY pulling through a flare line and cones (didn't hit one either) in order to try to get directions. Mind you, it was cold and rainy (and 11pm) and the officer vehicle(s) were a good 20-30 feet past the beginning of the barrier. I made sure no one was around that I could hit (including the street workers) and did not go over 5 mph. My main intention was to stop right where the officers were and just ask if they knew an alternate route seeing as how my exit to ANOTHER HIGHWAY was closed. The minute I pull up they start freaking out making it seem like I put their lives in danger.
As I was fond of pointing out to people: the flares are there for a reason. It could have been a crime scene, for all you knew at the time (probably not, but, you never know). You also could have waved someone over to ask that question rather than drive over/around the flare pattern. Out here that's a citable offense as well.

The officer not only was irate but demanded to see my insurance and registration without even acknowledging my request or the reason I was there.
Well, you DID break the law, after all. He had no obligation to acknowledge your request. However, it would have been good form to give you directions after citing you.

He seemed even more irked that I left my Drivers License at home that night. I told him I knew my license #, but he just wanted my D.O.B and full name (this was a first because I have never had a cop NOT take my D.L.# when I told them I knew it). As he was leaving I asked if I was going to get my insurance card back and he ignored me.
He probably ran your name and birthdate so he didn't need your license.

After waiting 10 minutes, he came back with a FREAKING ticket!!?? He then said that I need to get back on the highway and take the next exit. "It will be there that someone can give you directions".
Well, you DID cross the flare pattern.

Explain it to the judge and maybe the judge will understand it better than the officer did.

But, take it from someone who has spent hours babysitting flares in the rain keeping people from crossing a flooded stretch of roadway - your patience wears thin after you've been in the rain a few hours, the umpteenth person asks direction, and people keep crossing the flares and then ask if the flares were meant for them. It's a pisser.

Never even gave back my insurance card.
Call and ask for it. Or order a new one. It really is pretty simple.

Jesus Christ. I always thought the police were supposed to be here to protect AND SERVE. Instead I am going to be forced to pay almost 200 dollars AND have to go out of my way to get ANOTHER insurance card.

All this just for directions??
No - all that for crossing the flare pattern in violations of state law.

Sorry.

- Carl

ksigatmsu7f02

I'm sure when you go to court to contest the officer would be kind enough to apologize for his error in keeping your card. If not the judge might for him, or either could really care less most likely....But you definatly broke the law here...and with no drivers license on you, did you get a ticket for that, or is that what the ticket is for. If not you can get a ticket I know in Texas for not keeping your license on you and there is no way out of it that I've found. Possibly a nice DA will reduce or help you out somehow.
But cops do tend to be irate when there obviously working on something that requires there attention(which is usually the reason for the flares) and someone interupts there work. Especially by driving through an intentional road block. I didn't understand the part about him asking for your vehicle registration as it not required to be kept in your car in Texas. But I don't see your reason for being so upset.
You made bad judgement by driving through the flares just like a speeder makes bad judgement in speeding. You do deserve the ticket. But that doesn't mean that you shoudln't try to fight it but I don't have any advice on how to fight it in this case. Except don't go to court mad like in your post....be professional....and hopefully you'll get out of it somehow...but don't be mad at the cops for serving like you said there not....no they werent serving you at the time but they were serving someone who apparently required more attention.....either way good luck with court.

D

Devo_213

Turns out there was a power outtage 1 mile ahead on the highway I was trying to get on to.

All the cops were doing there was making sure the flares were readily replenished.

If you are pulled over and don't have your license on you, you can get a ticket but it will be dismissed as long as you show it in court. Same goes with not having insurance at the time you are pulled over.

ksigatmsu7f02

I was unaware that the ticket for not having a license on you will get dismissed....I knew the insurance one will. You must live near me in Texas....power outtages everywhere....mine was off for almost 24 hours....It seems like if you go to court and explain the situation the ticket will be dismissed but I also know this most likely won't be the case as judges never understand that what you did could have been reasonable actions and that cops do over react to too much. But it was pointed out about how they get annoyed but I do understand your frustration with it. Good luck in fighting it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">