• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully terminated for speaking out about sexual harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lil_sweety04

What is the name of your state? ~Ohio~
I had put in my two weeks notice at work due to the sexual harassment that was going on with other employees along with myself. I wrote a letter to my General Manager about why I was leaving and just touched on the uncomfortable behaviour done by him, i guess out of fear that it would make the situation progress as its done before at my work place. He blew off my letter so i decided someone needed to say something. I wrote letters to the owner and several board members. One told me to hang in there that she'd take care of me. So i went back to work before my notice was up agreed to stay with some stipulations and that i agreed to meet with the managers and explain what was going on. Soon after that a manager called me explaining that my GM had decided to accept my notice upon meeting with the owner i had sent the letter to and said I didn't need to finish out the days left on my notice. Is there anything I can do about this? I don't have a lot of money so i know that could limit my options, but it's happened before at my work place and something needs to be done.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
On the one hand, you were not terminated. They chose to accept your notice and refused to allow you to rescind it, which is their right under the law. Once you give your notice, the employer has NO obligation to allow you to return to work, even if you change your mind.

However, since the reason you chose to give your notice was due to illegal harassment, there is no reason you cannot file a complaint with the EEOC. Time limits apply and since you no longer work there the clock is running, so do not waste time.

L

lil_sweety04

So they can still accept my notice after it's been retracted on a verbal agreement??

BelizeBreeze

lil_sweety04 said:
So they can still accept my notice after it's been retracted on a verbal agreement??
ahhhh, I think that's what cb said, but what she didn't say is you can also be fired for being ugly, short, bowlegged and born on the 14th of the month. :eek:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. They can still accept your notice even after you've attempted to rescind it. Doesn't matter who may have agreed to let you return; if someone higher up the ladder doesn't want you to return, they have NO legal obligation to let you.

That's why giving notice is such a serious step. It's not something you can just take back and they have to let you. They DON'T have to let you.

Beth3

While lil didn't give provide any details about the sexual harassment that was taking place, it's possible her resignation could be construed as a constructive discharge, adding to the damages she's experienced due to the harassment. lil, what you need to do is file a sex discrimination complaint with the federal EEOC or your State's equal rights division.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">