• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Partially blocked handi ramp with out-of-state rental car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cadard

What is the name of your state?I live in Idaho and have an Idaho Driver's License.

City and State of Ticket received: Portland, Oregon.

City of Portland
Title No 16 Ord 165189
Circuit Court for Multnomah County
Parking Violation

In violation of 16.20 130-D

Comment from cop: OVR 1/2 of HCR NO WC ACCESS

I have found a weblink to this piece of law:
http://www.portlandonline.com/auditor/index.cfm?&a=16046&c=cifjb

Now, for the story itself:

I rented a car in Idaho and drove it to Portland, so the car in the violation ticket is the rental car, not one I own.

I got into Portland about 11pm, so it was quite dark, and I parked it near the corner as far back as I could, which wasn't a lot. I couldn't see the curb all that well because of the dark (there's a tree for some dumb reason on the corner that blocks the streetlights farther down) and all the fallen autumn leaves everywhere piled up next to the curb.

When I came out the next morning and saw the ticket I went and looked at the situation. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera, nor would I have a camera any time soon, so I moved my car to avoid further unpleasantness. How I wish I did have a camera. On inspection, I was not blocking over 1/2 of the ramp as the ticket comment suggests. I was blocking maybe 1/3rd - 1/4th of it at most. It was unpainted, and leaves were piled up along the curb making it hard to see exactly where the ramp on the curb was even in daylight. The curbs are in a bit from the actual rounded corner, which is a normal curb height.

So, according to the title, yes, I was in violation, because I cannot block ANY of it.

In with the ticket was a handwritten note from another person saying that they had received the same ticket I had the day before, and they wanted to fight it, and wanted me to give them a call. This didn't surprise me much, considering I've seen people parked far worse than I was every visit I've ever had to Portland, and I've never seen a ticket on any of them.

I did not ask the rental agency what they'd suggest, but I'm guessing they'd just tell me to pay it.

My questions are these:

Since this is the City of Portland, and I am in Idaho, and the car was a rental car, if I ignore this ticket, what can they do to me?

The ticket is for $150, which I cannot aford at all. If I cannot ignore it, what's my best bet for taking care of this with the least money spent?

Should I fight the ticket, and if I do, what is the best strategy?

thanks very much

-- Irritated Cad

BelizeBreeze

Since this is the City of Portland, and I am in Idaho, and the car was a rental car, if I ignore this ticket, what can they do to me?
Well, first of all don't ever expect to rent a car from this firm again. And if it's one of the major players, you'll have a hard time renting from anyone.

Second, if you don't show up you'll have a warrant for failure to appear. That means that $150 ticket is now at least double, maybe triple.

Then they'll contact the registered owner of the car, find out where you live and contact the DMV in your state which will result in your renewal being denied.

Shall I go on?

Cadard

Yes, you could certainly go on to answer the rest of my questions. They are right below the one you replied to, and each ends in a question mark.

Thank you for the information.

-- Cadard

BelizeBreeze

If you don't want to return to Portland then call the number on the ticket and ask how much the fine is, and where to mail it.

You're not getting out of it unless you go back to Portland and attend the trial. And I would bet you'll end up with paying the fine AND court costs and travel expenses.

Remember, you left a papertrail. Cops aren't stupid, just challenged. And eventually it will catch up with you.

You Are Guilty

BB, you're forgetting the most important part -- I am sure the rental agreement he signed when he got the car had a lovely little provision about renter liability for ticket payment. Typically, the rental place will pay the ticket, then turn around and come after the driver for the ticket price + administrative fees (which are usually a lot more than the ticket).

Either way, someone will be out looking for you eventually if you don't pay.

Did you ever call the other person who left you the note?

rmet4nzkx

Cadard said:
I got into Portland about 11pm, so it was quite dark, and I parked it near the corner as far back as I could, which wasn't a lot. I couldn't see the curb all that well because of the dark (there's a tree for some dumb reason on the corner that blocks the streetlights farther down) and all the fallen autumn leaves everywhere piled up next to the curb.

When I came out the next morning and saw the ticket I went and looked at the situation.

.... This didn't surprise me much, considering I've seen people parked far worse than I was every visit I've ever had to Portland, and I've never seen a ticket on any of them.
SO the handicap parking and all the other excuses don't matter as you were aware of the parking problems there, right? You come to Portland on occasion. If you can afford to rent a car to drive to Portland, you can afford to pay your parking fine. You broke the law, you are responsible, even if there were leaves on the curb there were other signs, you did have your headlight's on, right?

Cadard

Update

I thought I would provide an update here to help people that find themselves in a similar situation.

I couldn't get in contact with the person that left the note. I was planning on being in Portland for Xmas, so I called up the office listed on the ticket and talked with an attendant. My ticket was issued on the 18th of Nov, and I had 30 days to respond, however, I knew I wouldn't be able to get to Portland until the 21st or 22nd of Dec. I explained my situation to the attendant and he extended when I could appear in court to the 22nd so that I would not be penalized (I think the fine doubles, probably other nasty stuff as well).

Meanwhile, I should have taken some pictures the day after the ticket (I don't own a camera and was hesitant to buy a disposable for just this), because just a few days after I had been issued the ticket, all the leaves in the area were cleaned up.

Fighting holiday traffic, I arrived in Portland the evening of the 21st, and went to court the next morning. I was a bit late after getting lost trying to find the place, but it wasn't a big deal, because things start late and you have to wait through traffic offense cases once the judge arrives anyway. Good thing I brought a book.

When my case was called I said hello to the judge, pleaded No Contest, and told my story:

I arrived just after midnight when I parked the car, and it was dark and the curb was covered in leaves. The location of the corner required me to back into it, so I was not able to see the ramp as I backed into it. After parking, I was pretty tired--wanting to sleep since I had driven 6 hours straight--and I only glanced at the parking area rather than looking closely. When I came out the next morning and saw my car, and the ticket, I also saw the ramp in the daylight. I knew the law (I linked it earlier in this post), and knew I was in violation.

I then told the judge I was just looking for a reduction in fine, given the details, and given that I am currently poor. He reduced the fine by 50%, I thanked the judge, and I left the courtroom.

In Oregon, or at least in Portland, I don't think it's possible to plead No Contest or Guilty and not pay a fine, although I am not absolutely sure. The language seems to indicate that by pleading in that way you are agreeing to pay a fine of some amount. The problem is if you plead Not Guilty the judge does nothing more than schedule a court date 6 or more months down the road. Not only did I not want that, but even though I had no intention to block the ramp, I did block the ramp, so not guilty seems inappropriate. I pleaded no contest because I felt that while I had violated the law, I didn't intend to do so. People can argue I should have just gone with guilty, but honestly, the two are nearly identical, and the judge seemed to treat them the same way in all the other cases.

All in all, I was thankful for the 50% reduction, although of course I wish it had been nothing at all. $75 is, heh, about a month worth of food for me ($3/day). That's what happens when you're not watching your back enough.

I hope people in the future have some idea of what's in store for them by this story, and I hope it helps them prepare. Thanks again to all who posted with information. Which reminds me...

rmet4nzkx, your trolling is both petty and irrelevant. Not only do you have nothing of worth to offer, you seem to think you're Magnum PI. You presume to know about me, my situation, and even my finances. Next time you want to feel the warm fuzzies of wannabe-authoritative condescension, go down to your local high school and give kids smoking tickets, and leave the advice-dispensing to people who have it to offer: namely everyone else who replied to this post.

-- Cadard

rmet4nzkx

Cadard said:
I thought I would provide an update here to help people that find themselves in a similar situation.

rmet4nzkx, your trolling is both petty and irrelevant. Not only do you have nothing of worth to offer, you seem to think you're Magnum PI. You presume to know about me, my situation, and even my finances. Next time you want to feel the warm fuzzies of wannabe-authoritative condescension, go down to your local high school and give kids smoking tickets, and leave the advice-dispensing to people who have it to offer: namely everyone else who replied to this post.

-- Cadard
What the he!! are you talking about and who is the Troll? You were careless and violated the law, you were guilty, I pointed out to you that other peoples violations is no defense to your own admitted fault. You were even late to court, were lucky the judge reduced your fine, that is nothing to brag about. Count your blessings and be more careful in the future, don't attack me for your stupidity
:mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">