• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug Charge - poss for sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tangb

What is the name of your state? California

My friend was charged for Marijuana/drug poss for sale. They want to put him 25 to life due to 3 strike law. I believe the first 2 crimes was none violence. His public defendent tells him that they offer him 2-4 years. Should he take the offer or can he hire a private lawyer to reduce the sentence? What are the chance that his private lawyer can help reduce it?

bt

Son of Slam

tangb said:

My friend was charged for Marijuana/drug poss for sale. They want to put him 25 to life due to 3 strike law. I believe the first 2 crimes was none violence. His public defendent tells him that they offer him 2-4 years. Should he take the offer or can he hire a private lawyer to reduce the sentence? What are the chance that his private lawyer can help reduce it?

bt
Go, run and get your facts straight and come right back.

Maxthedog

No, I think he should take the 25-life. Keep that repeat dealer off the street. I have no sympathy for these types. Play with fire and expect to get burned. :mad:

CdwJava

tangb said:

bt
Chances are they will choose not to apply the priors in a plea deal. And if he can hire a private attorney, then he should never have been granted a public defender.

Nobody knows the odds of reducing the sentence in a plea deal. Without knowing his criminal history or the nature of this particular offense, it's impossible to even guess.

Consider the deal.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">