• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 Weeks Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SteveB1

Michigan

My company recently changed its policy regarding two weeks notice of resignation. Now they say that If I don't give four weeks notice they do not have to pay me by acruued vacation time. Is this legal?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it is legal.

Michigan state law requires only that a company adhere to their policy. If your employer has a written policy to the effect that payout of unused vacation time is contingent upon four weeks notice, they can do that.

R

RKendall48

Use up vacation time

:D Where I use to work, had a guy go on vacation for 3 weeks...the day he returned he said "I quit" :p

HomeGuru

RKendall48 said:
:D Where I use to work, had a guy go on vacation for 3 weeks...the day he returned he said "I quit" :p
**A: and just what does this information have to do with the thread topic?

Renthorin

I am in MICHIGAN. Our handbook says "All employees who resign are requested to give at least two (2) weeks written advance notice no matter how long they have been employed."

The operative word being "requested". If I choose not to (because they royally pissed me off yesterday) and resign next Wed with intent to stay the next day to clean up my desk, I assume they can not take 2 weeks of my vacation time like they have mentioned to the company they can?

Requested does NOT mean required to me.

Thoughts?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What does their policy say about the pay out of vacation time? That's the part of the policy that counts.

Beth3

They can't absolutely require you to give four weeks notice because you are an at will employee. That means you can walk away from your job any time you like. However they certainly can withhold paying our your vacation if you choose not to comply with their request if that is their policy.

Renthorin

Our handbook states.....

"If any employee terminates from the Company, any earned accrued vacation as of the termination date will be paid to them. "

Beth3

Renthorin, what does what your handbook says have to do with SteveB1's question? He is the original poster.

You need to start your own thread if you have questions of your own, even if on the same or similar topic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">