• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

water damage that cannot be seen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

seeker99

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My mother lives in the upper unit of a 2-story condo. Her water hose in the kitchen sink bursted and caused water to be flooded in the kitchen. Although the damage at the unit is not bad, the water had gone down to the lower unit. The owner of the lower unit claims that water is leaking through the ceiling and than the drywall of ceiling needs to be replaced. We are willing to pay for the damages that were cause by this water leakage. However, when a general contractor was there to assess the damage, the owner of the lower unit refused to let us in to see the extent damages and hear what the contractor would say. Do we have a right to bring a general contractor ourselves to assess the damage as well? The owner of the lower unit insists that he will use the contractor of his choice. He instructed the people who were renting that place not to let anybody from our party to go in to look at the damages. He also made it clear that we cannot see the place to see the damages ourselves. Is there anything we can do to resolve this matter and not being taken advantage of? Without knowing what kind of damages were actually done with this incident, I don't feel comfortable just waiting for him to present with the cost of the fixing. I have not heard from him for four days now since the water leak.

A

Anthony Schimme

I am in Pennsylvania but dont think that this would change from state to state anyways. I own 2 condo's in a development that has 3-4 stories on top eachother and I own one in the middle and one on the bottom. When I first bought the one in the middle and I went over all my insurance with the carrier I specifically asked the question in the event something like this happens. The answer was that it is not my problem and thats why they should have insurance. You only have insurance in the event your unit is damaged by either yourself or someone else. So I dont think that you have to worry about it at all and let them deal with it and there insurance company. Hopefully this is of some help.

HomeGuru

Anthony Schimme said:
I am in Pennsylvania but dont think that this would change from state to state anyways. I own 2 condo's in a development that has 3-4 stories on top eachother and I own one in the middle and one on the bottom. When I first bought the one in the middle and I went over all my insurance with the carrier I specifically asked the question in the event something like this happens. The answer was that it is not my problem and thats why they should have insurance. You only have insurance in the event your unit is damaged by either yourself or someone else. So I dont think that you have to worry about it at all and let them deal with it and there insurance company. Hopefully this is of some help.
**A: the writer needs to file a claim with their OWN insurance carrier.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">