• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

References - what can they ask?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JustWantToWork

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington

I was fired in September and have been working hard for 2 months to find a new position. I was let go unjustly (they said attendance but I had not missed a day in 4 months). Anyway, I have been on several interviews that in my oppionion, I nailed, but still I am not landing the job. Lately I am thinking my last employeer must be bashing me in references. From what I have heard the only thing they can ask in Washington is whether or not this person is rehireable. Is this true? Can a previous employeer offer more information about why someone was terminated? Also, is it best to delete this company from my resume and start fresh?

Thanks.

Beth3

From what I have heard the only thing they can ask in Washington is whether or not this person is rehireable. Is this true? That is completely untrue.

Can a previous employeer offer more information about why someone was terminated? Yes. Your former employers may provide any information that is factually true or represents their honest opinion. If they thought you did a lousy job or that you were excessively absent, they are free to say so.

Also, is it best to delete this company from my resume and start fresh? No. (a) How are you going to explain this gap in your employment history? You are certainly going to be asked about that in an interview. (b) Falsifying your resume or a job application will result in your being disqualifed from consideration or terminated after you are hired when your new employer finds out about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">