• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with two citations.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1BlackHatch

What is the name of your state?
Pennsylvania

Story:

I was driving home tonight on rt 43 toll road. The turnpike workers in PA are on strike so tolls are supposed to be free today. I slowed down for the toll booth and was about to go through when I noticed a man sitting inside. Not having listened to the news I decided it would be prudent to just pay the toll. I saw a sign on the collector saying "free today" and started to go. Well the guy comes out of the booth and proceeds to ask me for license and registration. Turns out he is a cop and is "pulling me over" for an expired inspection. So I get two citations. One for an expired inspection and one for an expired registration. I know dumb dumb dumb. I have the inspection scheduled for friday and was just trying to survive until then.

My question is this: Is this some form of illegal stop? I would not have stopped had I not seen him in the toll booth and hence wouldn't be typing this message now. Also what are the jurisdictional implications of an officer being in a toll booth? If he was there acting as an operator is he still allowed to issue citations? Help me out here people is there anything I can do?

CdwJava

Sorry. He was there, he detained you, and you yielded and were cited.

Unless the statutes in PA require he be in a car, than you may be out of luck in fighting it. But, you can consult an attorney and see what he/she says.

And Bravo8 (a regular poster here) is a PA peace officer, maybe he can provide a little mre insight if he isn't yet gorged on turkey.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">