• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

85/50 in VA (Reckless) - advice please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fadeaway

What is the name of your state?
Virginia (Fairfax County)

Just tonight I received a ticket for going 85 on a 50 zone (fairfax county parkway). I have court in two months, is it a must to hire a lawyer? I just don't want my license suspended.. the officer did tell me he could have legally arrested me and impounded my car.

From my research throughout the board, I see anything above 83-84 and the seriousness is bumped up A LOT, and jail time is considered.

I'm just 17 years old, I turn 18 in 3 days, however I'm going to juvenile court since I got the ticket under age. Is this a good or bad thing?

Is there a chance I can get out of this simply with $ and avoid suspension? I'm very worried about this, I think I need to hire a lawyer.

Also.. a little history, I did receive a speeding ticket 5 months ago, but it was dropped after I told the judge I already took a driver improvement class. I wonder if that still shows up on my record.

Any advice appreciated!

Thank you.
Dan Gessler

ksigatmsu7f02

It definatly will never hurt to consult a lawyer and could hurt not too. So either way I think you should. I never have dealt with Virginia so I don't know the seriouness they will take it but I knwo 35 over is almost always very serious. I have had tickets for 85 but never in lower than a 70. Maybe you can avoid suspension with a lawyer. I really don't see jail time but then again other posts here have indicated that Virgina is known for giving jail time for speeding. Either way it would be in your best interest to consult a lawyer on this one. If nothing else just for your lack of experience in court. Good Luck

F

fadeaway

Thank you.. oh god, jail time? What a scary thought. I'm so screwed.. at a time where I should be concentrating on school and applying to colleges, this comes up, and will occupy my mind for the next 2 months until court.

Well I guess this is what I get for doing something so random, downshifting to 4th.. I need some sleep.

Please guys, please give me more advice (especially people who know VA)

Sam111

Looked it up, since I am from VA and curious.

Driving 20 miles over the speed limit is considered reckless driving. Penalties are jail time of up to one year and/or fines of up to $2500. You may also have your license suspended for up to 6 months.

They take this seriously in Fairfax so hiring a attorney would be advisable.

D

Devo_213

good lawyer will get you probation; deferred most likely choice.

You'll be lucky if they don't suspend your license.

Add in court costs and you'll be flying high sitting shot gun while attendin' your new school.

ksigatmsu7f02

Whats bad....in Southwest Louisiana, you can get off with less for a DUI. I can't imagine if the two states I regularlly drive in took speeding that serious. I'd know what the inside of a prison was like for sure. And yes bad things always happen on the one time you try to do something thinking no one is around. Good luck with it and hope you can avoid jail time at the least.

Dieram

Jail Would Be The Worst Consecuence To That Felony. It Would Be If You've Had Many Speeding Tickets And A Bad Record If Your Record Is Good I Advice You To Get A Copy Of It And Take It To Court, Then Cry To The Judge, Good Luck!

The officer is correct. You are lucky he did not ARREST you on the spot. 85/50 on that stretch of road is RECKLESS DRIVING, no doubt. And in VA, R/D is considered a CLASS 1 MISDEMEANOR - meaning, you'll have a CRIMINAL RECORD for the rest of your life (as it doesn't "go away" like speeding tickets do)....

Get a lawyer ASAP - and good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">