• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Manager hiring Friends

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jonmace84

What is the name of your state? Washington
I have been employed at my current work place for more than a year now. My wage has been the same currently $7.50hr. After working for a few months I was trained to become a crew leader and was told my wage would increase. It never happened and I was never officially promoted (and no reason was given). However, I just faced the fact and continued to do my best. I showed no obevious concern as well. My manager began to hire a few of her friends and promoted them and increased there wages immeaditly. This did not bother me because I believe it does not break any laws. One of her friends that she hired was promoted asistant manager in less than a week. This friend was caught stilling from the safe and was fired on the spot. A few months later this same friend was rehired starting at the same position as myself. After a few weeks the friend was promoted asistant manager once again. My manager stated at a manditory meeting that this was only for the holiday season. All this really does not bother me, to some extent. But what does is that this friend does nothing . And I mean nothing. When I work with the asistant manger, she is on the phone most of the entire shift claiming she is in the back doing paper work. But the fact is, she does not know this process. She has been trained but does not fully understand the process. She basically conducts the same tasks that I am responsiable for as a crew member, if that. My main concern here is, does this have any justification with regards to the "equal pay for equal labor law"? ( I am not sure this is the correct law.) The asistant manager also leaves work a lot for hours and then returns with out clocking out and the manager does nothing about this ( occasionally the manager accompanies her). And then the manager complains to her work crew that her labor costs are too high. Is this not some sort of discrimination and if not what the hell is it? What can I do about this?

Beth3

Is this not some sort of discrimination and if not what the hell is it? (a) No, this is not any form of prohibited discrimination; (b) what this is is your manager making incredibly stupid business decisions that may well put her own job in jeopardy if more senior management finds out what's been going on. The two of them deserve to be fired.

What can I do about this? Either start looking for a new job where they'll appreciate a honest hard-working individual such as yourself or contact someone in more senior management and clue them in to the situation. Or both.

It's not against the law for your boss to hire a do-nothing thief. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">