• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket. Outta state lic.. Technicality.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jakejade01

Speeding ticket. Outta state lic..

What is the name of your state? UT

I got ticket for speeding this morning in UT .. 59 in 50 zone.
I sort of have dual residence in UT and CA.
I use to have UT class C license, which surrendered to DMV in CA when applying for CDL.
2 months ago went to Commercial driver school in CA. and got CA cdl license.
Although i spend 2-3 days a week in CA, i also live in UT. My permanent residence is in UT. My CA cdl license has UT address on it.
I was NOT drivring truck. i was driving a car.
I am not officially working for anybody as CDL driver, but will be shortly.

Now, i am willing to pay the $92 fine & also can go to Traffic school. but i would somehow like this ticket ticket to go Off my record. I do not want to pay huge premium to insurance.

when i got ticket, i gave the cop my CA license with UT address on it. On ticket, he wrote my old UT license number, which i no longer have cause i surrendered it when i applied for CDL in CA.

Any suggestion are appreciated, to have this ticket off my record.
Thank you.

Last edited:

JETX

jakejade01 said:
when i got ticket, i gave the cop my CA license with UT address on it. On ticket, he wrote my old UT license number, which i no longer have cause i surrendered it when i applied for CDL in CA.

Someone told me their is technicality in it. i dont have to pay and the ticket can be thrown out.
First off, your 'someone' is not correct.

Second, you WILL get the ticket added to your record eventually. Once that ticket is traced back to an invalid (surrendered) Utah drivers license, you may also be surprised by some additional charges, such as: Providing a false id to an officer, driving without a valid license, etc.

Simply, your trying to be a smart-ass and dodge responsibilty for your actions has very likely (and with any luck at all) put you into a far more serious legal problem.

I would suggest you show up in court at the time/date shown on the citation and try to undo the damage you have created. BTW, your 'creation' will likely affect ANY possibility of the prosecutor offering a lesser charge which wouldn't have hurt you.

Last edited:
J

jakejade01

First, Thanks a lot for the quick response.

I'll be honest, i am not trying dodge my responsibility, i made a mistake, i am willing to suffer the consequences. pay the price.
I do abide the law and ride within speed limit at all times. I have gotten 2 speeding tickets in the past,(my mistake) but have managed to kept my record clean for past 3 years. Make no mistake, every now and than almost every body speeds on open road at 7:30am heading to work on Thanksgiving morning.. No traffic...
i have take responsibility for my action and willing to pay the price. however, i dont think its fair that my insurance premium should skyrocket, i mean, come on, i had a clean record for 3 year, and i just pissed all over it with one foolish mistake. Well, whats been done, is done.
All i want is, i will pay the ticket, take Traffic school, if this ticket stay on my record, fine by me. But, i just dont want this to jack up my insurance for long time.
You guys think, if i talk to the DA or someone, and request to take the Traffic school, they might pardon the ticket??

I just got CDL license, will be driving shortly as Professional driver, i understand the consequences, but i just made a small mistake, i dont want to get screwed big time for it.

Once again, thanks for the Advice.

JETX

jakejade01 said:
First, Thanks a lot for the quick response.
You're welcome.

I'll be honest, i am not trying dodge my responsibility, i made a mistake, i am willing to suffer the consequences. pay the price.
Actually, it sounds like you purposely offered the officer your invalid license. After all, why even have it with you if you didn't intend to offer it at some point. I know that I don't carry my old, expired drivers licenses around with me!!
That means that this was NOT a 'mistake' as you claim but a purposefull act to attempt to deceive. This is further supported by your claim that 'someone' said that this would make the ticket voidable.

I do abide the law and ride within speed limit at all times.
"At ALL TIMES"??? Looks like that one isn't really true either, huh???

I have gotten 2 speeding tickets in the past,(my mistake) but have managed to kept my record clean for past 3 years.
WOW!! Three whole years without a ticket!! What a statement to good driving. When you go for 20 PLUS years without a ticket, let us know. At that point you MIGHT qualify as a good, safe driver.

Make no mistake, every now and than almost every body speeds on open road at 7:30am heading to work on Thanksgiving morning.. No traffic...
i have take responsibility for my action and willing to pay the price.
That is a very nice sentiment.... however, the meer fact that you are on this site trying to get 'advice' on how to avoid the ticket tells far more than your statement.

however, i dont think its fair that my insurance premium should skyrocket, i mean, come on, i had a clean record for 3 year, and i just pissed all over it with one foolish mistake.
That is the consequences that you agree to accept when you get behind the wheel and drive the potentially deadly weapon.

You guys think, if i talk to the DA or someone, and request to take the Traffic school, they might pardon the ticket??
As I said before, the chances of that happening were FAR diminished when you presented that expired, invalid license to the officer. And as noted in my earlier post, your best chance at this point is to try to expedite this thing by contacting the DA and trying to work out a 'deal' BEFORE they find out about your stupid antic.

I just got CDL license, will be driving shortly as Professional driver, i understand the consequences, but i just made a small mistake, i dont want to get screwed big time for it.
Do you really expect a lot of sympathy from us??? That 'simple small mistake' will only be compounded into a potentially HUGE problem if you make a 'simple small mistake' with an 80,000 load behind you. Those 'simple small mistakes' are what can kill innocent people on the roadways.

J

jakejade01

Once again. thanx for response..

Dude, i think, i was not specific about my situation and you might think of me as more criminal, than a violator with speeding misdeamoner.
I presented a Valid California Drivers license. I no longer carry a UTAH license...i surrendered that to DMV in California when i applied for my CDL license there.
I AM NOT CARRYING A FAKE LICENSE. NEVER HAVE AND NEVER WILL. I NEVER GAVE THE COP A UTAH LICENSE. I dont have Utah license anymore.
I HAVE VALID Commercial drivers License issued to me by the DMV, after completing and passing all the written exams and Road tests in Bakerfield, CA.

I dont know why cop asked for my address, and phone number and on ticket wrote my old Utah driver license number, even though i gave him California license. I dont have any UTAH license, once again it was surrendered to DMV in California. Although, i do have Utah address on my California license.

I am also ignoring the advice i was given by that "someone" to use technicality, it sounds like more headache than its worth. I am goin to DMV tomorrow and talk to DA that i dont have UTAH license, i have California CDL license, i take responsibility, i will pay the fine, hopefully they will allow me to take Traffic school, and maybe my future potential employer will hire me despite my insurance premium being more that it should have been, had not have i made the mistake.

Now, regarding some of the comments i made in 2nd comment, all i can say is, i am not perfect driver, but i try to be, i wont say i have never drove faster than speed, i have, but i try not to, i try to more sensible driver, i have not gotten a ticket in last 3 years because of it. Once again, i am not perfect, i just try to abide the law. but i made mistake, i just dont want my insurance to go up. i am so pissed.

sorry to bug you people. i am very sad on Thanksgiving..

Last edited:

CdwJava

The reason the UT officer put your UT license number on the citation you received in UT was because that is the number that is used to reflect your driving status and record in UT. It would be the same in CA. If you were here and presented me with a UT license, but also had a CA license number - expired, surrendered, or not - the citation woul deventually be linked to your CA number and it might be placed on the citation as opposed to the out-of-state license.

So, this was no mistake. The UT license was put on there because that is the number that is used to represent YOU in the UT system.

In CA if you are given a citation with an out of state license, the DMV would generate what is called an "X-reference" number to track your driving status here. I bet UT would do something similar.

- Carl

J

jakejade01

CdwJava said:
In CA if you are given a citation with an out of state license, the DMV would generate what is called an "X-reference" number to track your driving status here. I bet UT would do something similar.

- Carl
Thanx a lot. this gives me a sense of satisfaction. i was scared to death, when the last responder said, why i gave the cop UT license. i was like wtf, i did not do any crime(i never gave him any UT license). Now i just have to notify the guy, who is goin to hire me, that i got ticket, and insurance gonna be a lot. i just gonna have to live with it for the time being.
i'll see if i can take traffic school and they can take ticket off my record so insurance company wont charge more.

I was not worried about the ticket. but about the insurance cuase i will be driving Commercial truck soon, and cant offoard to have tickets. I will do better to adhere the traffic laws more often. I guess this ticket was a sort of reminder, not to speed. I had kept the record clean for last 3 years, wanted to keep it that for next 3 years, but i guess i have to start all over again. Wierd thing is, i was talking to friend about my clean record for 3 years, and how usually dont speed, And than this happened. maybe i was over confident, or bad luck. whatever it maybe.

Last edited:

JETX

jakejade01 said:
I presented a Valid California Drivers license. I no longer carry a UTAH license...i surrendered that to DMV in California when i applied for my CDL license there.
From your first post: "On ticket, he wrote my old UT license number, which i no longer have cause i surrendered it when i applied for CDL in CA."
How did the officer get your UTAH license number?? If you now have a California license, doesn't it have a CA license number???
If the answer to that is yes, then the ONLY way the officer could have gotten your old (no longer valid, turned in to CA DMV) license number is if you gave it to them.

I had numerous stops where the driver didn't have his license but knew his DL number. If he had other ID to prove his identity and the information matched that on the computer return (from DMV license records), I would not issue a 'no license' ticket, but would issue the traffic citation (speeding, etc.) based on the license number the driver gave. That is what I assumed happened in this case.
If you gave him the false license, the situation I described is still very likely.

CdwJava

As an FYI, what often happens here is if someone gives us an out of state license, we check it locally (in state) AND in the state of issue. If they come back with a local X-ref or DL number (even expired) we will write that number on the citation as that is the number CA will use to deal with the matter - not the out-of-state number.

Other states may do it differently.

- Carl

JETX

CdwJava said:
As an FYI, what often happens here is if someone gives us an out of state license, we check it locally (in state) AND in the state of issue. If they come back with a local X-ref or DL number (even expired) we will write that number on the citation as that is the number CA will use to deal with the matter - not the out-of-state number.

Other states may do it differently.
Okay, but that is NOT what the OP says:
"when i got ticket, i gave the cop my CA license with UT address on it. On ticket, he wrote my old UT license number, which i no longer have cause i surrendered it when i applied for CDL in CA."
If the OP gave the officer his California license, presumably with a CA license number (even if a Utah address), how did the officer get the UTAH license number to put on the ticket??? Clearly, something doesn't sound right here..... and more likely that the OP had two Utah licenses and turned one in, or didn't turn the Utah in and presented that to the officer.

Further, this entire story sounds suspect to me based on the other statements in the OP:
"I sort of have dual residence in UT and CA."
"Someone told me their is technicality in it. i dont have to pay and the ticket can be thrown out."
Appears to me to be a pre-thought out attempt to avoid the ticket.

CdwJava

It could be a lame attempt by the OP to conceal his actions. But, maybe not. I am only attempting to explain why it IS possible for his UT license number to end up on the citation in UT after the officer was provided with only the CA D.L.

Out here if someone from Oregon gives me an Oregon DL, I check their status through OR DMV and CA DMV. if they come back with a match on a CA DL number or X-ref - valid or not, THAT California number is the one that gets entered on the citation with the UT cross-referenced. The Oregon driver does not have to tell me about it.

And the UT officer could clearly have made an inquiry within UT because the address on the CA license was out of UT. Something that I have seen on commercial driver's licenses, but have never fully understood ... why a non-resident (based on the license address) can have a CA license.

- Carl

J

jakejade01

This is getting Hot. I am being labelled as a "criminal trying to avoid the ticket".

CdwJava,
Thanks for your advice again. You make sense that since i had a UT license in past, i am still in UT dmv system, so COP wrote down UT lic number on citation ticket, even though i gave him my CA license. COP did question me about why i have UT address on CA lic, and i gave him the explanation how i went to truck school in CA, keep moving between 2 states frequently and my permanent address is in UT. COP did told me that i should transfer my CA license to UT. And i told him, i was goin to shortly, but haven't done it, cuase i just got the CA license, i had it for little over a month now. He said ok. than he asked me about my address, and phone number. I gave him. 10 mins later, he gave me the citation, read me the Rights script and so on. COP must have run search by my phone number and address in his system and must have pulled out my old UT lic number.
JETX, i appreciate your help, but you seem to keep labelling me as i have purposely gave the COP a ut lic. which i never did and dont have Lic. Oh well!
i think i should have more specfic and detailed about my situation. I was nervous, since its a CDL license and all. The rules are different and i am new. For me, it was like end of the world, like i cant drive a truck anymore. I talked to fellow truck driver and their explanation was similar to "CdwJava's. So, that gives me a sense of satisfaction.

I AM GONNA TAKE THIS CITATION AS REMINDER FOR NOT SPEEDING AGAIN.
I am gonna pay the ticket and deal with insurance hike..

Thanks for all your help.

Last question, is there a Traffic school option available for CDL lic holders??

J

jakejade01

I need to keep this in mind at all times if want to drive a Commercial vehicle.

http://www.kxii.com/news

Traffic Violations by Commercial Driver's License Holders
With Sherman Attorney Bobbie Peterson
by Ellen Sawko

Under the new law passed in SB 1904, traffic violations committed by CDL holders may affect the status of the CDL regardless of whether the violation was committed in a commercial or non commercial vehicle…meaning, the CDL holder can receive a violation while driving his or her own vehicle, and it will affect that commercial license. A person is disqualified from driving a motor vehicle for 60 days if convicted of two serious traffic violations within a 3 year period (speeding more than 15 miles above posted limit; reckless driving, improper or erratic lane change, following vehicle too closely)…and 120 days if convicted of three serious violations within a 3 year period.

Also found very Usefull info.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov

"Under the new regulation, a driver may apply for a CDL from another state if the state he lives in was decertified and if the other state to which he applies elects to issue that license. States are authorized, but not required, to issue nonresident CDLs to such drivers. "

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">