• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time Off to Vote

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ekelley

Mississippi:

During the 2004 election, I requested an extended lunch period (or time off)to vote (a total of 2 hours. The maximum extended period allowed by my company). Because the lines were exceptionally long at the polling places, the actual time required for me to vote was 2.5 hours. I explained this to my employer, but I was written up for a late return from lunch and told that they were not required to give any time off for me to vote.

I work in the state of Mississippi, but the corporate headquarters for my company is located in California. I understand that the California law mandates 2-4 hours paid time off to vote, but the State Law of Mississippi is silent on this issue. I need to know which state applies to my case.

Thank you. :confused:

Last edited:

Son of Slam

ekelley said:
Mississippi:

During the 2004 election, I requested an extended lunch period (or time off)to vote (a total of 2 hours. The maximum extended period allowed by my company). Because the lines were exceptionally long at the polling places, the actual time required for me to vote was 2.5 hours. I explained this to my employer, but I was written up for a late return from lunch and told that they were not required to give any time off for me to vote.

I work in the state of Mississippi, but the corporate headquarters for my company is located in California. I understand that the California law mandates 2-4 hours paid time off to vote, but the State Law of Mississippi is silent on this issue. I need to know which state applies to my case.

Thank you. :confused:
In California (Mexifornia to us who live here) you may have the first or last 2 hours of your shift IF you give written notice at least 2 working days in advance. States differ in requirements of paid and unpaid leave for voting and ol' crooked letter, crooked letter, i, don't play dat game.

***clue to answer: Which state do you live and work in?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Mississippi applies in your case. Mississippi does not require that you be given time off to vote, paid or unpaid. It is entirely up to your company whether to provide you with such time or not, and if so, how much. Your employer was entirely within their legal rights to write you up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">