• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

View Personnel File?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kanagusuku

I live in the state of Idaho and I am in the process of applying for a government job. I :confused: would like to find out the law in regard to requesting to view my current personnel file. If I am allowed to view my file and find false and/or damaging information do I have any rights in asking to have the material removed from my file?

BelizeBreeze

The personnel file belongs to the company and is private property. You have no legal rights at all to view, change or read it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Belieze is correct UNLESS you are working for a school district, in which case Idaho law gives you the right to see and obtain a copy of your personnel file, and attach a rebuttal to any information with which you do not agree.

If you do not work for a school district, you are perfectly free to ask your employer if you may see your file; if you may have a copy of your file, and if you may attach a rebuttal if you disagree with something. However, if the employer says no, you have no recourse, legal or otherwise.

While many states give you the right to attach rebuttals or otherwise challenge information with which you do not agree, NO state permits to to request an employee to remove information. (Okay, I guess you could request it, but the request would not have the force of law. In ANY state.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">