• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fence/Property line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jirvine

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

Approximately 14 years ago I bought 5 country acres. I have setup house on the property and have lived there since that time. When we purchased the property the only thing that was out of place was that our neighbors fence was 4 feet on our property. (We did not do a survey at that time) We didn't mind that as it was only 4 feet. On the other side is open field. I was approached last week and informed that there is a housing edition going in and that by a survey that they did my fence is on their property by 22 feet. They told me they are going to reclaim their 22 feet. This affects about 5 people adjacent to the property, but affects me the most as my house is built very near the property line. I have talked with the neighbors, who have lived there since 1980 and 1950 (only 2 I have talked to) and they told me that the fences have all been in place as long as they have been there. I was also told that there is an Oklahoma law stating that if you can prove that the fence has been in place for more than 15 years that it doesn't matter what the survey says, the fence line is the property line now. So my question is, what's the in this situation? Is the 15 year law truely a law and does it apply in all situation? What other course of actions do I have? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Joel

HomeGuru

jirvine said:
What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

Approximately 14 years ago I bought 5 country acres. I have setup house on the property and have lived there since that time. When we purchased the property the only thing that was out of place was that our neighbors fence was 4 feet on our property. (We did not do a survey at that time)

**A: very bad move, not getting a survey done.
We didn't mind that as it was only 4 feet. On the other side is open field. I was approached last week and informed that there is a housing edition going in and that by a survey that they did my fence is on their property by 22 feet. They told me they are going to reclaim their 22 feet. This affects about 5 people adjacent to the property, but affects me the most as my house is built very near the property line. I have talked with the neighbors, who have lived there since 1980 and 1950 (only 2 I have talked to) and they told me that the fences have all been in place as long as they have been there. I was also told that there is an Oklahoma law stating that if you can prove that the fence has been in place for more than 15 years that it doesn't matter what the survey says, the fence line is the property line now. So my question is, what's the in this situation?

**A: there is no such law and whomever told you that bunk must be an old time okie that must have a cadre of old wive's tales and urban legends.
Is the 15 year law truely a law and does it apply in all situation? What other course of actions do I have? Any help would be appreciated.

**A: see above. Well. you could move the fence.

Thanks
Joel
**A: you're welcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">