• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking for more than 72 Hrs - Car Towed by PD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gotticketed

What is the name of your state? California

Need some help on how to go about contesting this parking ticket. I parked my car on a street in Torrance which had no signs posted about parking limitations. I had to go out of town, and when I returned back, got mails from the DMV, police department & the towing agency indicating that my car was towed as it was parked standing for more than 72 hours and now I owe them LOTs of money due to the towing,storage, Lien fee, etc., which is ending up more than the car's worth.
When I went to the Torrance Police Department - traffic center, they mentioned that it as per the municipal code, parking more than 72 hrs on a street is illegal, and when DMV issues the licence, we are expected to know the municipal codes as well. This code seems to be specific to Torrance area, and not in the other parts of Los Angeles. Expecting a person to know all the municipal codes as a pre-requisite for getting the license is totally ridiculous. Any suggestions on how this ticket can be contested is greatly appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

gotticketed said:
What is the name of your state? California

Need some help on how to go about contesting this parking ticket. I parked my car on a street in Torrance which had no signs posted about parking limitations. I had to go out of town, and when I returned back, got mails from the DMV, police department & the towing agency indicating that my car was towed as it was parked standing for more than 72 hours and now I owe them LOTs of money due to the towing,storage, Lien fee, etc., which is ending up more than the car's worth.
When I went to the Torrance Police Department - traffic center, they mentioned that it as per the municipal code, parking more than 72 hrs on a street is illegal, and when DMV issues the licence, we are expected to know the municipal codes as well. This code seems to be specific to Torrance area, and not in the other parts of Los Angeles. Expecting a person to know all the municipal codes as a pre-requisite for getting the license is totally ridiculous. Any suggestions on how this ticket can be contested is greatly appreciated.

My response:

"Ignorance of the law is not an excuse or a defense."

Los Angeles Municipal Code
SEC. 80.73.2. USE OF STREET FOR STORAGE OF VEHICLES – GENERALLY – WHEN PROHIBITED.
It shall be unlawful for any person who owns or who has possession, custody or control of any vehicle to park such vehicle or leave it standing upon any highway, street or alley for more than 72 hours in the aggregate during any period of 73 consecutive hours. For the purposes of this section a vehicle shall be deemed parked or left standing for such 72 hours unless during that period is either driven a minimum of one mile after leaving the location where it has been parked or left standing or, within that period, is removed from any highway, street or alley. (Amended by Ord. No. 162,867, Eff. 11/22/87.)

You're not going to escape from this. It is also irrelevant that your car isn't worth all of the fines and storage charges. Those charges are debited to you, and not the car. Your car can be sold for payment of those fines and fees, but the balance remains yours, and until paid in full, your license can and will be suspended.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">