• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cited, then cited again while contesting -- no standing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AmyW

What is the name of your state? NYC, NY

I got tagged twice within 2 hours, and think I have a case for paying only the first citation.

Here is my tale of woe:

One Friday in Brooklyn Heights recently, I parked in the spot indicated at 11:00 a.m. A small portion of the back end of my car was in the “No standing” zone. A police officer was sitting in a nearby NYPD parking enforcement vehicle. Because of my desire to avoid a citation, I went directly to her and asked if my vehicle was parked legally. She said, “You should be fine.” I asked again, saying that I did not want to be cited and would move if she thought it was necessary. The officer said again, “I think you’ll be fine. Everyone knows how bad the parking is around here.”

Thus reassured by the officer, I went to take care of my business. At exactly 12:05, I returned to the car to find a citation.

In my frustration and desire to resolve the situation as soon as possible, I took the citation off the window and walked directly to the Brooklyn Adjudication Center. However, heavy human traffic that day made the lines long and I did not have time to stay for a hearing. I resolved to come back another day.

I returned to my car at exactly 1:06 p.m. to discover another citation, this one timed at 1:03. Different officer.

Rage ensued.

On later, calmer reflection, I realized two things:
1. I should have just skedaddled after the first ticket. Leaving my car there without its first citation was probably an invitation to the second officer.

2. the cop i talked to might have thought i was fine, but that doesn't mean the second and third cops would (or did).
(it does just kill me that she specifially said, you'll be fine. i mean, i ASKED A COP!!)

Anyway, so my question is: Do I have any way out of at least the second one. $115 is going to hurt me, but I can accept that i was technically in violation and deal with it. However, $230 -- especially for such a mild violation!!! -- would be crushing.

I'm thinking about sending in a $115 payment with both citations, giving my side of the story and hoping they just let the second one go.

Good plan? Anything I can say or do to help myself?

Thanks in advance.

BelizeBreeze

Even if you HAD left the initial citation on the windshield that alone would not have absolved you from the further violation almost two hours later.

Pay them and learn an expensive lesson.

You Are Guilty

Your assumptions are correct. Don't forget, most tickets aren't written by police officers - just traffic agents. And lord knows they are not known for their intellectual prowess.

Anyway, while you are guilty of both tickets, you can throw yourself on the mercy of the PVB and explain that you had taken ticket #1 off the windshield to pay it when you got ticket #2. Who know, you might get a softy ALJ that day who will actually feel the twinges of humanity deep within their black heart (or at least in the space where normal humans have hearts) and either let you off on #2 or at least cut some of the fine down due to the timing.

Remember, they do not have to - a ticket every 60 seconds is permissible under the law - so be nice, kiss some butt and you may have a shot.

PS: that's what you get for driving in Brooklyn. Take a train! :p

A

AmyW

Thank you both. More responses of course are welcome.

But a related question: Better to plead via mail now or in person the next time I'm in town? That will be within 14 days of the citation.

I can write a persuasive letter, I think, but does quality face time give one a better shot?

You Are Guilty

AmyW said:
I can write a persuasive letter, I think, but does quality face time give one a better shot?
Decidely yes. Not to mention that you get a much quicker response (i.e. instant) in person, whereas mailing can take months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">