• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

felony drug possession on school premises in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

knappkin

What is the name of your state?My son was arrested in school for buying some marijuana. First (AND ONLY I HOPE) offense. He is 17. We were advised at the arraignment to get legal counsel because he is being charged with a felony. This is the first time EVER in any trouble. Hard to teach child in many special programs but no legal problems ever. What should we expect? Any chance he will be charged as an adult? I am really worried. My son is a good kid with a good heart who just made a bad mistake. Someone please tell me what to expect!!

rmet4nzkx

Your son is in special programs, do you mean that he is gifted or a special ed student? This could make a big differnce.

K

knappkin

drug possession at school

He has add/hd and is currently trying to do without medication.He seems to not be able to keep up with the education format and he does not ask too many questions and before long he is left behind. He is 17 and has been held back 3 times. He is currently a freshman. the school counselors suggest that we take him out of school and enroll him in "Option 2" which is a work for your diploma program. After 30 weeks of legitimate employment he will recieve a diploma. he is is special classes adjusted to his levels. I guess that may be considered "special Ed"

rmet4nzkx

Get an attorney fast.
also have your son evaluated for Asperger's disorder, it is often confused for ADHD and meds may not make a difference.
Did he realize what he did? Does he think different laws apply to him?
Check the web for recent case about a high school student with Asperger's who baked a cake for her friends. You also need to get your son qualified for disability before age 18 and into appropriate programs. You need a good diagnosis first.

K

knappkin

drug possession at school

he does realize what he did! He is very upset over the whole thing. He understand that he is in trouble. We are just not sure how much and if there is any way to lessen the penalties. We went to court expecting to plead no contest and take the consequences but were advised at court by the DA to seek a lawyer. In order to do so we needed time to get one and had to plea not guilty until we could secure an attorney and get this thing going. I am petrified! What can an attorney do to help me? He is not the smartest tool in the toolshed and I don't want to see some judge rip him apart. He REALLY is a GREAT kid. This IS a one time thing. No past of trouble.

<Bill>

Why is it a felony was it a massive quantity or is it due to drug free school zone laws, also did they bust the dealer or do they want him to narc out the dealer ?
Those details will evaluate his situation.

K

knappkin

school possession

It was a $10.00 bag. Minimal at best. The state of Florida or at least this county has a drug free zero tolerance policy. They busted the dealer also. My sons story was colaborated by the dealer (first time purchase) I am sick thinking about this! Thanks for your help. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">