• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney Fee Reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BMartinez

(I have lived in Indiana for 11 months...filed divorce in AZ before I moved and divorce was final, in Arizona, last month.)
I am recently divorced and the court awarded me $5,300 of my total attorney fees which were $6,900. I paid a retainer of $2,500. Doesn't my attorney owe me $900? I was very unhappy with my attorney...how do I go about getting that money and how long does he have to get it to me?

Last edited:

THe money that you where awarded is from the other party, not the attorney you retained. You are going to have to wait until the other side pays up to get your difference.

BMartinez

Thank you for responding. The Minute Entry ordered the ex to pay the amount awarded directly TO my attorney.

BMartinez

If the court has ordered my ex to pay my attorney directly, shouldn't the attorney reimburse me for the amount I have paid? :confused:

Yeah, your attorney will pay you the money back after he/she gets the money from the other side. Remember possession is 9/10th’s of the law. Do you really think the attorney is going to give you his goose without having another goose in hand at first.

BMartinez

goose schmoose....just something not right with that picture. A portion of the money he has been awarded, he already has in his possession.

:) thank you for your response...i have been checking this daily...

happy holidays!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">