• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

crazy neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melzma

:mad: What is the name of your state?Missouri-I bought my home 4yrs ago about the same time as my neighbor. We have a shared driveway because both houses originally belonged to one family. My home was there first-90 yrs ago, same with my garage. My garage is free-standing. She has a lean-to attached to my garage. The problem is that over the past four years, I have had many battles with her and her family/guests blocking the driveway entrance so that I cannot get to my garage. Police have been contacted many times and the County prosecutor has even warned her to behave. She has misbehaved badly besides this. Its gotten to the point that the police don't want to be bothered anymore and make me seem like the freak for having to call them in order to get in my garage. Barring cutting down trees, tearing up lawn and having a new driveway built, what are my options? I was told that even if the surveyor said I owned the majority of the driveway, I still couldn't put up a fence or anything that would keep her out because of it's shared status. Help. Thanks

HomeGuru

melzma said:
:mad: What is the name of your state?Missouri-I bought my home 4yrs ago about the same time as my neighbor. We have a shared driveway because both houses originally belonged to one family. My home was there first-90 yrs ago, same with my garage. My garage is free-standing. She has a lean-to attached to my garage. The problem is that over the past four years, I have had many battles with her and her family/guests blocking the driveway entrance so that I cannot get to my garage. Police have been contacted many times and the County prosecutor has even warned her to behave. She has misbehaved badly besides this. Its gotten to the point that the police don't want to be bothered anymore and make me seem like the freak for having to call them in order to get in my garage. Barring cutting down trees, tearing up lawn and having a new driveway built, what are my options? I was told that even if the surveyor said I owned the majority of the driveway, I still couldn't put up a fence or anything that would keep her out because of it's shared status. Help. Thanks
**A: review your survey and recorded easement agreement.

barrypatch

People block my loading docks occaisionaly and the police/towtrucks have been little help. I now use a forklift.

melzma

Thank you for your suggestions. I have been given the right to have cars towed if they are not moved when asked by the police-the problem is that they eventually move, usually when the tow truck arrives so they are not billed for a tow. It's an antagonist thing. This woman has moved from two different towns because of the trouble she and her family has caused. I wonder if an injunction would be the way to go? The easement issue is that even though I own 90% of the driveway, I am not permitted to stop her from using it because she has to have full access to her lean-to. Even though she doesn't use it to park a car, I cannot put up a fence to line my boundry because it would impede her from getting in and out of her "garage". Thanks to all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">