• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving chrage in VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

arise148

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Virginia.
On a sunday afternoon I was pulled over by a undercover cop and I was driving a friends car with them in it. He wrote me a reckless driving ticket for driving 87 in a 60. Now heres where turns hopefully for my favor. I have a valid CT drivers license with one speeding ticket on it (but i do rent a house in VA), I was only traveling at 80 miles pr hour and my witness will verify that, 80 mph was the speed all 3 lanes of traffic at that time, AND when the cop took my friends registration he wrote my information on it voiding the other persons registration. What is the best way to handle this. HELP PLEASE!!!!!

lwpat

For your information driving 80 mph is considered reckless in Virginia. If you just pay the fine it will be entered as a guilty plea and entered on your CT license with the associated hike in insurance premiums.

Show up for court and see if they will offer you a chance to plead to a lesser offense or retain an attorney. Your choice.

Get a lawyer.

Reckless Driving is a CRIMINAL OFFENCE in Virginia - CLASS 1 Misdemeanor.

Your eyewitness is probably less credible than the sworn officer would be in a court of law. You need to calibrate your speedometer and see how much it is off. 87/60 doesn't give the court much room to play with though. Were you clocked on radar, or were you paced by the officer's patrol car?

If VA suspends your privileges to drive in the state, it WILL notify CT unless the Drivers License Compact, of your conviction/suspension.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">