• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice in TX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mcintex

What is the name of your state? TX

Yesterday I got my first speeding ticket in 7 years. I had a jerk riding my rear bumper and would not get off even when I slowed down and got in the right lane.

Finally got tired of it and when there was no traffic, I accelerated in the left lane to get away from him. Of course that is when the police officer appeared going the other direction. No lights, no sudden manuevers from him, but I slowed down.

About 10 miles up, his partner was sitting in the middle divider and followed me off the highway at my exit. I pulled over when he turned on his lights.

He told me that he was waiting for his partner, and started to interrogate me. When his partner arrived, he wrote me up a ticket.

Got cited for 112 in a 70 and not having a front license plate. (Bought the car 4 months ago, didn't have it when I bought it.) No reckless driving.

Although money is tight, I am willing to pay the fines and plead no contedre.

Should I hire a lawyer just in case the judge wants to throw the book at me? My last ticket was for going 50 in a 35. Other than that, never had any troubles in 28 years of driving.

I am a nervous wreck worrying about my license being suspended and losing my job.

Help please.

Last edited:

JETX

mcintex said:
Should I hire a lawyer just in case the judge wants to throw the book at me?
Of course, that is your choice. However, I doubt an attorney could do much with the citations you face. 112 MPH!!! 42 MILES OVER THE LIMIT!!!
Simply, you deserve the book.... applied liberally to the top of your head!!

And the attorney can do even less with the FACTUAL case of no front license plate.

I am a nervous wreck worrying about my license being suspended and losing my job.
Regretably, Texas doesn't suspend licenses for a single moving violation, even ones involving stupidity. You have to have 4 or more convictions for moving violations occurring separately within any 12-month period or 7 or more within any 24-month period to face suspension due to stupid driving.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">