• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CVC 14604 (a)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

oteb

I live in California.

My wife’s cousin bough a car, and I registered the car under my name to help him. He was involved in a bumper to bumper accident, and I was cited with CVC 14604 (a)

The police officer wrote the correct vehicle code on the citation but circled infraction. When I went to pay the ticked I was told that my citation is a misdemeanor. All this time I though it was an infraction.

The police officer also wrote on the ticket to show up in court on Saturday, November 27, 2004. I went to court on 11/23/04 and they found no record and told me to show up on 11/27/04. I had to explain to them that it was a Saturday. They stamped my citation and asked me to call on Monday. The court is known to make mistakes, so I went to court on 11727/04 and it was closed. I have a parking receive that proves I was there.

I did not know that by allowing an unlicensed driver I was committing a misdemeanor.

From the scene of the accident he called me. I arrived at the scene and was asked by a police officer if I knew he was an unlicensed driver. I admitted I knew because I thought I would not be held responsible for another person actions.

When the officer had put on his helmet and was getting ready to leave. I reminded him to call the tow truck.

My ignorance of the law lead me to be honest with the police officer, to remind the police officer about the tow-truck and to agreed to help my wife’s cousin.

Due to the nature of my work, I cannot have a misdemeanor on my record.
What are the chances that the judge will reduce it to an infraction?
Do I need to hire a lawyer? Can a lawyer help?

FYI: I transferred the vehicle to his name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">