• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a pool really worth it??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CapoStatus

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I live at my residence in New Jersey. I was thinking about purchasing a new in-ground pool for my backyard. I understand all the laws about putting up a security fence that locks (Law states CLEARLY that it is for children), but I was still confused a little bit about my state laws.

Putting up a security fence will be no problem, but I've heard from a few people that if someone capable, Trespasses and strays into the pool area and gets injured I can still be held accountable.

Is this true?? If I am required by law to put up a locked security fence, and even post 'No Trespassing' signs, could I still be held responsible for a unwanted and uninvited teenager or adult if he/she is injured or even fatally wounded on my property???

ALawyer

That's the law in some states as pools are considered "attractive nusiances", but if you buy homeowners insurance, and an umbrella policy with high limts, you'd be reasonably protected. Just wait until Spring to go swimming in it.

CapoStatus said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I live at my residence in New Jersey. I was thinking about purchasing a new in-ground pool for my backyard. I understand all the laws about putting up a security fence that locks (Law states CLEARLY that it is for children), but I was still confused a little bit about my state laws.

Putting up a security fence will be no problem, but I've heard from a few people that if someone capable, Trespasses and strays into the pool area and gets injured I can still be held accountable.

Is this true?? If I am required by law to put up a locked security fence, and even post 'No Trespassing' signs, could I still be held responsible for a unwanted and uninvited teenager or adult if he/she is injured or even fatally wounded on my property???
No underwriter in their right mind would offer an umbrella policy with "high limits" to a homeowner who refuses to take reasonable precautions to prevent injury.

C

CapoStatus

I never said anything about NOT taking responsible precautions. I actually said that putting up a fence would be NO Problem. You should know, you quoted my exact words. But let's face it here. If an adult over 18 y/o wanted to get over a fence, he/she could.

What I'm saying is... If that 18 er 21 y/o got over my fence and took a dip. What if on his way up the slippery plastic stairs, he/she slips and cracks his/hers head open. Or what if he/she inhales a lung full of water.

MAIN POINT OF POST.

After SAFETY PRECAUTIONS ARE TAKEN.

And an adult GETS PAST those responsible safety precautions, and gets hurt OR fatally injured. Can I still be held resposible???

Once again I live in New Jersey. I plan on spending about $15,000 on my in-ground pool and another $5,000 on a 6 foot security/privacy fence around my whole backyard. I consider a 6 foot security/privacy fence is a responsible precaution.

AFTER SPENDING $20,000 ON A POOL AND COUNTER MEASURES TO KEEP PEOPLE OUT AT CERTAIN TIME. COULD I STILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF AN UN-WANTED VISITOR STROLLS IN AND HURTS HIMSELF OR HERSELF.

Please get back to me. This will determine wheather or not I will actually buy the pool or not.

BelizeBreeze

The question of liability CANNOT be answered beforehand. Your ONLY option at this point is (although funny) take ALawyer's advice and seek out different Insurance policies then address your concerns and their requirements for limiting liability to those companies before deciding on a policy.

nextwife

Do look into investing in a pool cover AND using it. Reduces maintenance, and evaporation and creates a safety barrier. If I were to invest in a pool, I would not even consider doing so unless I had such a safety device
(example: http://www.coverpools.com/poolcovers.html).

I had the unfortunate experience of pulling an adult drowning victim from the bottom of a very large public pool - and the responsibility of having that in my yard scares the dickens out of me. I have perennial beds, shrub roses and ornamental grasses instead.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">