• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sgn posted/tow away 4p to midnight

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zamen

California, brought two seniors to the theater(Taper Auditorium) in Downtown LA, parked on a meter with Handicapped plackard, since they(seniors) can't walk the stairs, checked with theater security if it's Ok.

On the other end of the street, meters where with white signs "no parking", on other side nothing shown, finally got a ticket "sgn posted/tow away 4p to midnight" despite handikapped plackard.

Any chances to beat it

thanks

JETX

zamen said:
Any chances to beat it
Probably not. The handicap placard (or license plate) is not a 'park anywhere' pass. If the space was marked as a tow zone and you parked there in violation, you get the honor of being towed.
And it is extremely unlikely that the guard would have the right to waive the parking restriction, even if you could find him and he confirmed giving you permission.

zamen

California
The tow away zone was not indicated
the signs on the meters saying not to partk were absent
I ' am trying to contest it
what the best strategy?

CdwJava

You can argue that it was improerly signed, but if there were signs at the start of the no parking zone and at the end, there is not necessarily a need to place it on the specific spot you parked at.

Since parking tickets are civil matters between you and the city, contact the parking authority and inquire as to how to contest the citation. I believe the first step in LA is a written form to contest the citation.

http://www.lacity-parking.org/laopm/pvb_home.html

- Carl

zamen

thanks
I called the phone they have on a ticket, to have it contested
since street was marked tow away only from one side, other cars on a street didn't get a ticket by 11 pm, only mine.

they said they will send me a letter to contest, but I have to pay ticket first

there is 21 day grace period to pay it, should I pay now, or should i contest it and wait to pay?

thanks

CdwJava

zamen said:
thanks
I called the phone they have on a ticket, to have it contested
since street was marked tow away only from one side, other cars on a street didn't get a ticket by 11 pm, only mine.

they said they will send me a letter to contest, but I have to pay ticket first

there is 21 day grace period to pay it, should I pay now, or should i contest it and wait to pay?

thanks
It's typical to post the cost of the cite first - sort of like bail. If you fail to pay it, then you may not be permitted to contest it. I would follow the process they tell you to.

Chances are the 21 days will be long expired before they make a decision on your appeal ... maybe. And if the 21 days runs from the date of the citation, then that clock is already ticking.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">