• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I car or a truck?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angiharr

What is the name of your state? IN

This is probably a very stupid question, but I do not know the answer.

I drive a Honda CRV and when I got my plates they asked me if I wanted truck plates or car plates. I chose truck plates because I liked the color better (I'm a girl!) . I asked the difference adn the lady said that there really is no differencce except that truck plates are cheaper and you don't have to wear a seatbelt if you have truck plates. (although i heard that indiana is going to change the seatbelt law, which I think is a good idea!). So I went for the truck plates since they matched my car (or truck, or whatever) :)

Anyway, so yesterday I got pulled over for speeding. The ticket was for 70/55.
The officer gave me a chart and told me that i can find my fine and points on the chart. I looked and saw that the ticket (1-15 mph over) is $90 for a car and $150 for a truck. There is no specification on the chart about what they mean by a truck - I thought it was for semi trucks, but is this for anyone with a truck plate?

Thanks for the help!

Angie

BelizeBreeze

IC 9-13-2-188
Truck
Sec. 188. (a) "Truck" means a motor vehicle designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property.
(b) "Truck", for purposes of IC 9-21-8-3, includes the following:
(1) A motor vehicle designed and used primarily for drawing another vehicle and constructed to carry a load other than a part of the weight of the vehicle and load so drawn.
(2) A motor vehicle designed and used primarily as a farm implement for drawing plows, mowing machines, and other implements of husbandry.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.1.

IC 9-13-2-105
Motor vehicle
Sec. 105. (a) "Motor vehicle" means, except as otherwise provided in this section, a vehicle that is self-propelled. The term does not include a farm tractor, an implement of husbandry, or an electric personal assistive mobility device.
(b) "Motor vehicle", for purposes of IC 9-21, means:
(1) a vehicle except a motorized bicycle that is self-propelled; or
(2) a vehicle that is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails.
(c) "Motor vehicle", for purposes of IC 9-19-10.5 and IC 9-25, means a vehicle that is self-propelled upon a highway in Indiana. The term does not include a farm tractor.
(d) "Motor vehicle", for purposes of IC 9-30-10, does not include a motorized bicycle.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.94-1997, SEC.1; P.L.143-2002, SEC.2; P.L.248-2003, SEC.2 and P.L.265-2003, SEC.2.

JETX

angiharr said:
The officer gave me a chart and told me that i can find my fine and points on the chart. I looked and saw that the ticket (1-15 mph over) is $90 for a car and $150 for a truck. There is no specification on the chart about what they mean by a truck - I thought it was for semi trucks, but is this for anyone with a truck plate?
Simply, you chose to save a few bucks and got truck plates. Your choice has now back-fired when you have to pay more for the ticket. I would presume that unless the chart specifies otherwise, 'once a truck... always a truck' and you get to pay the higher price. Hope that the license plates were at least a $60 'savings'.

Call the court and ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">