• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for sending a Janet Jackson email

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RAIOFSUNSHINE

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was on a two day vacation, when I returned, I was checking my email as different representatives email me with question and I got an email from a friend it was Janet Jackson & Justin Timberlake, it contained 6 pictures, I looked at 2 of the pictures and didnt see any problems and I forwarded the email to one of my friends.

Later that day, I was called in the office and they asked me did I send an email that contained anything explicit, I didnt think the email was explicit because I had not looked at all the pictures, It was during work hours.

Needless to say, they fired me because of the pictures and now they are denying me unemployment benefits. I did not intentionally send the email to be fired. If I had known that it had an explicit picture in it, I would have just deleted the picture. I guess it was a bad judgement call, However, I dont feel as though I should be turned down for unemployment benefits.

The reason for denial of benefits was due to:

My employer only permitting employees to view personal messages only while on break. It contained sexually graphic material on my work email account, I violoated my employers email and internet usuage policy and policies against sexual or other harrasment when I forwarded the email. One other person I sent it to forwarded the email and she was also fired. Is there a way I can get around this so I can receive unemployment benefits?

R

RAIOFSUNSHINE

well its obvious that you dont know the correct answer, so you take a sarcastic way out. If you knew what you were doing, you would know that I do have a case

Beth3

I was checking my email as different representatives email me with question and I got an email from a friend it was Janet Jackson & Justin Timberlake You're friends with Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake?

I looked at 2 of the pictures and didnt see any problems and I forwarded the email to one of my friends. Apparently you should have looked at all of them before deciding to forward the email.

Is there a way I can get around this so I can receive unemployment benefits? Unlikely. You violated multiple company policies. You're free to file for a hearing and appeal the decision but from a legal perspective, you engaged in willful misconduct and thus it's very unlikely an Administrative Law Judge will reverse the Initial Determination.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"well its obvious that you dont know the correct answer"

Actually, he did know the correct answer. He told you, you had no claim. You don't. As Beth says, you can appeal, but your termination was legal and it is exceedingly unlikely that you will qualify for unemployment benefits under the circumstances.

J

Joeker02

You must be talking about those dumb little superbowl pics. At least, that's the conclusion I'm drawing from it all because I know none of us would give a damn if you were trying to claim some sort of friendship with famous people in the hopes that it would advance yourself as well, AKA namedropping.

You were taking care of personal business on company equipment. With all the screening of data that places of employment do these days, it's not surprising at all that you got collared. Is this the first time you have been caught attending to trivial matters while on company time?

BelizeBreeze

Joeker02 said:
Is this the first time you have been caught attending to trivial matters while on company time?
It doesn't matter if this was the first time, the second or the 1,000th. Or do you not know the meaning of 'At Will Employment'?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">