• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is This Legal for a parking officer to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BabyGabey

What is the name of your state?I am in California, in Los Angeles county. I was stopped in front of my daughters Kindergarten with my engine running and was standing next to my car waiting for my daughter to come out of school. I was a few feet past the No Stopping sign, but had a sleeping toddler in the backseat hence the stop. a parking violations officer pulled up next to my car and I immediately walked over and told him why I was stopped there...They said you need to move your car and wouldn't budge, so I graciously did. The officer never got out of his car and then drove off. I later received a ticket in the mail for 65.00 for no stopping at that address. The time on the ticket was stamped for 11:52 a.m. and I pick up my daughter @ 11:15 a.m. So I wasn't even at the location when the officer decided to punch it in. Is this Legal? I am contesting this but would like to know some laws in this area and am having a hard time finding any state websites that can help me.

Thanks to anyone who can help. ;)

You Are Guilty

CA MVC s. 22505(b) No person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle in violation of the restrictions stated on the signs or markings.
(And, just in case you were wondering):
MVC s. 587 "Stop or stopping" when prohibited shall mean any cessation of movement of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the direction of a police officer or official traffic control device or signal.
Looks like you owe the money, unless you can prove the "No Stopping" sign you parked under wasn't really there.

CdwJava

Stopping in front of the schools where it is not permitted is a pet peeve of mine, the schools', and is a terrific hazard. There are alternatives to parking right near the front of the class - they may not be convenient ones, but there ARE alternatives.

Having had to drag two toddlers out of a car to walk to a kindergarten classroom from a block away, I know what I am talking about.

Now, I have to shoo parents away from schools every flippin' day because they are all "just waiting" for their kid - "I'll be a minute" ... "I didn't know" ... etc.

I know it is inconvenient, but if everyone parks where it is most convenient, traffic will be stacked up on to the street; kids will run between cars to get across the street where partents are parked, and it will be a nightmare. Been there, seen it, had to cite for it.

The timestamp likely asserts when the cite was written and NOT when it occurred. You can challenge the citation through the city agency that issued it. These are handled by a city administrator and not in court in CA. So your first step will likely be a written appeal. And to do that you will likely have to post the bail ($65) first.

The law isn't really on your side, but you might be able to get sympathy from them with an admonition to park a block away next time.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">