• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful termination..Breach of Contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

schmen99

What is the name of your state?Oregon

Hi all,
I am a machinist who works on a piece work basis. I have never signed anything regarding my liability for late work, incomplete jobs or even scrap parts. I was recently terminated after a purchase order I was working on was late. The purchase order was late as a result of machine failure. (in dispute) The last repair date on the machine was past the original due date. (provable) The customer granted the machining company an extension of time for the job completion. (provable) My letter of termination stated I have a bad attitude and am lazy, they said so with shiny words tho. (certainly not). (in dispute). At the time of my termination I had completed more than 50% of the job. (disputed) (at least 1 witness to the state of the parts on 11/02). I have responded to the letter of termination by laying out the facts I can prove and invoicing the machining company for 1/2 the original purchase order cost.

IS THE PURCHASE ORDER CONSIDERED A CONTRACT?
DO I HAVE A CASE?
IF SO IS IT A WRONGFUL TERMINATION OR BREACH OF CONTRACT?

TIA

Schmen99

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. A purchase order is not even remotely an employment contract and does not obligate the employer to continue to employ you.

You have neither a wrongful termination case nor a breach of contract case.

S

schmen99

Hi,
Thanks for your answer. Apparently the machining company's lawyer disagree's. They have responded with an offer of settlement for 1/7 of the original invoice amount. Unfortunately they have attached several assertions in their letter that are completely inaccurate. I am responding with an additional letter disputing their assertions and an offer of discounted settlement 1/2 way between the original invoice amount and their settlement proposal.

BelizeBreeze

schmen99 said:
Hi,
Thanks for your answer. Apparently the machining company's lawyer disagree's. They have responded with an offer of settlement for 1/7 of the original invoice amount. Unfortunately they have attached several assertions in their letter that are completely inaccurate. I am responding with an additional letter disputing their assertions and an offer of discounted settlement 1/2 way between the original invoice amount and their settlement proposal.
The settlement offer is in no way an admission that you had a valid contract. It's payment for work completed.

Quit trying to play Perry Mason. It's been done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">