• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VA: 53mph in a 25mph Zone (Reckless)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

maxima

What is the name of your state?I was in Virginia over the weekend (currently NC resident) and I was pulled over for 53mph in a 25mph zone. I was cited for reckless. I am reading alot of info and it sounds like reckless being a class 1 misdemeanor may be hazardous to my driving future. I called 2 lawyer for representation quote and both quotes are beyond my comfortortable economic position. (I know if you can't pay for the crime don't commit the crime)

My question, is this something that i can attend court myself to have the charges reduced? Is getting a lawyer a necessaty?

I've had speeding tickets in the past but they were reduced to non-moving violations or totally dismissed by taking driving courses. So basically, i have no speeding convictions on my record. Typically, what are the results of going at it without counsel?

Thanks...

RS

maxima said:
I am reading alot of info and it sounds like reckless being a class 1 misdemeanor may be hazardous to my driving future.
Among other things. Like your future CAREER. This charge is a CRIMINAL CHARGE, not a mere "Traffic Infraction". You'll face more than the insurance issues, and driving sanctions.

Like a CRIMINAL RECORD. Not a big deal if you already have one. If not, you'd want to keep it clean. Security Clearances are hard to get once you have a charge on your record. And it sticks around forever. (Doesn't go away in a few years like some traffic tickets do). Plus you have to answer "YES" to the question - "Ever been convicted of a criminal charge?"

Get a lawyer ASAP - and pay the $$$ that it will take to clear this up for good - that's if it's important to you. Showing up for R/D without a lawyer is a waste of time in most District Courts in VA - a conviction is a certainty. Whether you'll have to do time (yes, it is punishable by up to A YEAR in jail) is unlikely, but a fine and/or suspension, based on your driving record is a probable outcome.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">