• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSA/Double Talk

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jvormwald

What is the name of your state?New York
SSA keeps telling me its none of my busIness to know any thing about my benifits or why I'm mandated to have payee. Is this legal? Can't even get my tax informtion from my payee to do my taxes.

Last edited:

BL

What type of Benefits do you receive from SSA ?
Who is your payee and what relationship are they to you ?

It is up to your payee to have your tax returns prepared and sent in. If you have returns , it will be added to your finances for your payee to make sure you needs are being meant , and for YOU only.

You should have received a letter when you were first assigned a payee.
In that letter it should have told you what your payee's responsibilities are, and if you think your payee is misusing you benefits, you can contact the SSA.

J

jvormwald

Ssa/doulbe

I Have Ssi And Ssdi I Was My Own Payee For 7 Years 1991-1998. My Mom Is Payee Ssa Does Not Care If She Is Mismanaging My Money As Long As She Does Not Use My Money To Pay Her Mortgage.

BL

How are you claiming your money is being mis-managed ?
Does she keep a record of how your money is being spent on YOUR needs ?
What is SSA stating when you complain ?

Are you getting spending money each week ?
Are you getting at least about $350.00 worth of cloths each year ? (presumably new ) ?

If you really feel your Needs under the guidelines are not being meant, write a letter to SSA stating so.

Your rights as a recipient :

http://www.dlc-ma.org/Resources/dbp/Rep Payee.html

J

jvormwald

Ssa/double Talk

I'm Facing Legal Action From My Bill Collectors Because They Are Sick Of Bills Being Payed Up To 90 Days Late. Ssa Thinks This Is Ok, To Pay The Bils 90 Days Late. She Does Not What To Report My New Address Change, I Know I Had To Report Changes To Ssa When I Was My Own Payee.

BL

Your representative payee must use your social security funds to meet your basic needs for food, clothing and shelter.

You benefits are not for past due bills. As long as your mother has your benefits in account in her name for you, or gets the checks directly , collectors can NOT touch it. Her responsibility to to make sure your BASIC needs are being meant.

Maybe she don't want to change the address for FEAR of harassment for YOUR debts you incurred . ( I wouldn't blame her. But what she should do is write a Letter to each collector and each creditor, and send them a copy of proof you receive SSDI & SSI, and tell them they should write the debt off, and do not make any further efforts to contact about the debt .

J

jvormwald

Saa/double Talk

I Don't Why She Can Get Away With Not Report The Changes To Ssa She Pay All The Bills 90 Days Late, Even If The Bill If For 10 Dollars..

J

jvormwald

Ssa/double

I Have Not Been Judged Non Compos Mentis By Any Judge. And Its A Legal Term Not A Medical Term Like Some People Think. I Have Read Court Cases About Ssa Penalizing A Payee For Not Reporting A Income Changes Or Taking Benifits Away Because A Payee Is Not Reporting.

BL

A recipient who becomes unhappy with their payee can request that someone else be appointed to serve as payee. It is always best to have a replacement payee in mind. SSA must provide assistance in locating a payee if you are unable to do so or have no local contacts in the community. Each SSA office must maintain a list of individuals and agencies in their area who are willing to provide payee services.

REPRESENTATIVE PAYEE RESPONSIBILITIES - Your representative payee must use your social security funds to meet your basic needs for food, clothing and shelter. Any funds remaining at month’s end must be saved in an appropriate bank account. Your payee must keep your funds in a separate account and keep separate records about the use of your funds. These records must be turned over to SSA for review upon SSA request. Your payee cannot tell you where you must live, how you must live, or what you can or cannot do with funds provided to you. Your representative payee must make reports to SSA about changes in your situation that may affect your monthly benefit. These include change of address, marriage, or divorce. You are also responsible for making these reports to SSA.

CAN I BECOME MY OWN "PAYEE?" - If you believe that you no longer need the assistance of a payee to manage your funds, you can ask SSA to pay you directly. You should provide evidence supporting your request. This evidence can be a letter from your doctor or counselor stating that you are able to manage money and provide for your own basic needs. You may also want to show SSA that you have been maintaining your own checkbook and/or ensuring that your bills are being paid in a timely manner.

This comes from the website I posted. I suggest if you are unhappy with your payee, call SSA and ask if they have a form to fill out or if you can just write a Letter to change payees.

Just because no Judge has ruled you incompetent, doesn't mean your able to handle your own finances. If you think you can ( again ) request it from SSA .

J

jvormwald

Ssa/double Talk

I HAVE BEEN TRY TO FIGHT THIS FOR a LONG TIME. I ONLY GOT MOM TO BE MY PAYEE BECAUSE MY FORMER PAYEE COULD NO LONGER LEGAL BE MY PAYEE. SSA WILL NOT LET ME BE OWN PAYEE AGAIN, BUT WILL NOT TELL ME WHY.FIRST PAYEE WAS GROUPHOME AFTER I LEFT THE GROUPHOME I TRIED TO BECOME MY OWN PAYEE AGAIN SAA SAID NO.

BL

A recipient who becomes unhappy with their payee can request that someone else be appointed to serve as payee. It is always best to have a replacement payee in mind. SSA must provide assistance in locating a payee if you are unable to do so or have no local contacts in the community. Each SSA office must maintain a list of individuals and agencies in their area who are willing to provide payee services.

Try an Agency ..

tigger22472

Blonde Lebinese said:
A recipient who becomes unhappy with their payee can request that someone else be appointed to serve as payee.

A payee change request can be made but ultimately it is up to SS. DH and I learned this in the past. Anyone can apply for the payee but the caseworker in charge is to investigate things and make the decision as to what is best so a simple request to have the payee change is just that, a request.

BL

tigger22472 said:
A payee change request can be made but ultimately it is up to SS. DH and I learned this in the past. Anyone can apply for the payee but the caseworker in charge is to investigate things and make the decision as to what is best so a simple request to have the payee change is just that, a request.
Absolutely correct ... Plus If the recipient were to request an Agency be approved to be the clients payee, it could take up to 6 months to approve.
I'll bet you one thing though, the wouldn't pay any past due debts , only those bills for his/her basic needs.

Technically the recipient is correct though that changes of addresses need to be made , and an accounting of his benefits should be kept, by the payee.
The recipient does have the right to make a written complaint, and a written request, and have a written reply from SSA.

J

jvormwald

ssa/double talk

doesn't ssa need medical evidence to mandate me to have a payee, i have not seen it and i gamble it does not have any thing to with my disability.

tigger22472

I agree, the payee wouldn't pay the past bills either, only current things and 90 days doesn't mean they aren't getting paid either. I agree that the address changes should be made but if they won't tell the OP anything (and this is possible as I am the payee of my kids through my husband and they will ONLY tell me) then who's to say the payee isn't telling new addresses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">