• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is child support income?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? IN

Just browsing and came upon this thread https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=192049

My daughter receives SSI because of a disability. SSI does count child support as "her" unearned income. I am wondering after reading this post if daughters case worker, who BTW is new, is wrong in counting child support. Prior to my separation from my stb ex I had asked this Q and was told CS was not considered income. This was in another county and another SS office. I get different answers everytime I call the SS office's 800 #. :confused:

Is child support considered income? Also the child support rcvd is for 2 children. SSI divides CS by 2 to come up w/ daughters share of support. If this is countable income, why isn't my sons share of CS determined to be household income? BTW, I am aware that child support isn't 50/50 as they are basing her amnt of CS.

The concept of a pro‑rata delineation of support is generally inconsistent with the economic policy underlying the Guidelines (See "Economic Data Used in Developing Guidelines" in "Commentary" to Support Guideline 1). That policy recognizes that the amount of support required for two children is 1.5 times that required to support one child. The multiplication factor decreases as the number of children increases. If support were reduced by one half when the first of two children was emancipated, the remaining amount of support would be significantly below the Guideline amount for one child at the same parental income levels.

If they do count CS as her income could it not be framed out to indicate what portion of CS would actually be my daughters?

Any info or response would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Gracie3787

Bitter Mom said:
What is the name of your state? IN

My daughter receives SSI because of a disability. SSI does count child support as "her" unearned income. I am wondering after reading this post if daughters case worker, who BTW is new, is wrong in counting child support.

Is child support considered income?

Any info or response would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Your daughter's case worker is parly correct, however, according to Title 42 Chapter 7 Subchapter XVI Part A (for SSI) only 2/3 of CS is income because the first 1/3 is excluded.

Because you recieve CS for 2 kid's I would guess the only way to accurately dtermine what portion is your daughter's would be up to your state's laws on CS.
Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">