• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need information about leaving Army ROTC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chillin315

What is the name of your state? NY. I'm currently a student at a university in New York. I'm a 4th year student. The first two years of college were spent at another university where I wasn't enrolled in Army ROTC. When I transferred to my current university, I took a Leadership course at Ft. Knox to make up for the first two years of ROTC I missed. This brought me to the level of MS3. I signed a scholarship contract in February 2004. This contract stipulated that if I left Army ROTC after signing it that the Secretary of the Army could order me to enlisted duty, as well as, reimbursing the Army.

So my question is how likely is it that I would be ordered into enlisted duty if I left ROTC? I've never been in the active Army nor in the reserves. I would not have a problem paying the Army back the money they used to pay for my schooling but I don't want to be forced to enlist. I'm also currently on anti-depression medication, could that help in my case in not being forced into active duty??

BelizeBreeze

So my question is how likely is it that I would be ordered into enlisted duty if I left ROTC?
How about 100%. Do you like that figure? And your medication has nothing to do with it. It is not an issue with being enrolled in ROTC and won't stop you from fulfilling your obligation of service.

B

BClahan

I'd like to know more about that

If you were on medication when you joined into the contract for your ROTC scholarship then id think you might be held liable for repaying the money and some fines, not sure but I'd imagine. If you started taking afterward, and you can prove that stress as a direct result of ROTC is to blame, then it may be another ballgame. There a several ways to get out of serving in the military, especially if someone in the military promised you something and hasnt delivered or if you were misled in another way. However the case goes I'd like to know more about it. Good Luck :)

FreeGuardian

I quit ROTC three years ago to the date (This was before the Iraq war, but I doubt that things have changed much). When I left, I gave the PMS a three page letter detailing my reasons for leaving. The majority of the letter was an argument against America's foreign policy. I also contested my debt expenses on the grounds that accepting and ROTC scholarship removed my financial aid and work study and that I was not aware of this until after I had signed the contract. I didn't actually expect to win this argument. I was simply using it as a delay tactic to stall for time. I also stated in writing that under no certain circumstances would I serve the armed forces in any capacity and my PMS was kind enough to accompany this with a letter that he expected I would go AWOL if ordered to active duty.

About 2 years ago, the Army stated that I should be held liable to repay my debt expenses, but I didn't have the money in its entirety, so I protested the claims again. Just this month, they finally sent me a letter stating that the debt claims were valid and that I was required to pay the debt off in 30 days or that they would start charging me 2.12% interest...

The interest is surprisingly reasonable, even though I am going to pay them off in cash. Not only did I gain use of the government's money for 3 year, I missed the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns. I have a civilian job with better working hours that pays more and I didn't spend two years of my life fighting a distinctly unamerican war.

My advice would be to write a letter of resignation and resign at the end of your school's current quarter. State that you will not serve the military in any capacity but that you agree to repay the goverment if they find you in fault. I left before the war was "official", so the world may have changed since then. Even so, the military is unlikely to want to deal with an unmotivated, unwilling trooper. Tell them that they can arrest you if they want. A year in prison is preferable to a year in Iraq.

Be firm in your decision and be proud of it. You made a mistake in trusting the US government, but the decision to leave is best for you and for the country as a whole. American forces have no business in the Middle East and nothing good will come of it.

FreeGuardian said:
I quit ROTC three years ago to the date (This was before the Iraq war, but I doubt that things have changed much). When I left, I gave the PMS a three page letter detailing my reasons for leaving. The majority of the letter was an argument against America's foreign policy. I also contested my debt expenses on the grounds that accepting and ROTC scholarship removed my financial aid and work study and that I was not aware of this until after I had signed the contract. I didn't actually expect to win this argument. I was simply using it as a delay tactic to stall for time. I also stated in writing that under no certain circumstances would I serve the armed forces in any capacity and my PMS was kind enough to accompany this with a letter that he expected I would go AWOL if ordered to active duty.

About 2 years ago, the Army stated that I should be held liable to repay my debt expenses, but I didn't have the money in its entirety, so I protested the claims again. Just this month, they finally sent me a letter stating that the debt claims were valid and that I was required to pay the debt off in 30 days or that they would start charging me 2.12% interest...

The interest is surprisingly reasonable, even though I am going to pay them off in cash. Not only did I gain use of the government's money for 3 year, I missed the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns. I have a civilian job with better working hours that pays more and I didn't spend two years of my life fighting a distinctly unamerican war.

My advice would be to write a letter of resignation and resign at the end of your school's current quarter. State that you will not serve the military in any capacity but that you agree to repay the goverment if they find you in fault. I left before the war was "official", so the world may have changed since then. Even so, the military is unlikely to want to deal with an unmotivated, unwilling trooper. Tell them that they can arrest you if they want. A year in prison is preferable to a year in Iraq.

Be firm in your decision and be proud of it. You made a mistake in trusting the US government, but the decision to leave is best for you and for the country as a whole. American forces have no business in the Middle East and nothing good will come of it.
What a coward- I wish they would make you serve your time- or talk to the college and take your degree-- are you too good to serve your country.. please move to canada we dont need people like you in the US

csporluck

chrisdizz22 said:
What a coward- I wish they would make you serve your time- or talk to the college and take your degree-- are you too good to serve your country.. please move to canada we dont need people like you in the US
You have NO room to call anyone a coward who doesn't believe in a war. Now perhaps you can insult the lad for going back on his word, which in itself is bad.. But right now there is more courage in saying NO to this adminstration then there is in saying yes. If you're so Gung-Ho why aren't you in Iraq right now? There ARE jobs over there, sign on with AAFES (Army Air Force Exchange SErvice), or are YOU to much of a coward? Don't make any excuses, please justify why YOU aren't there. Hell, I'll even send a resume in for my company and you can be up North getting shelled, and get paid a good sum of money, but... I seriously doubt you'd accept the offer. You, Maam are the real coward. Yeah, you have family in harms way, get over it.. why do you want to send another young person over there? You're jealous and petty and feel like the world wronged YOU, not your family member. I KNOW for a fact that only a handfull of the soldiers really WANT to be here, and honestly, most would be damn happy is this SOB can get out of his ROTC and NOT go over.. I see these kids go North every damn day, and wish they'd quit sending them.

As for the person wanting out of ROTC, good luck. If all else fails, try doing your commitment with another branch, you CAN do that.. I knew several guys who did at my first assignment. They did two years, even with the Air Force, but could only do a handful of jobs... Go talk to an Air Force recruiter, see if they can help you. Worst comes to worst, maybe instead of going Army, you go Air Force Officer... you MAY still head to iraq, but it might be a better gamble, and in the eyes of Miss Coward you'd still be serving your country...

rmet4nzkx

csporluck said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdizz22

You have NO room to call anyone a coward who doesn't believe in a war. Now perhaps you can insult the lad for going back on his word, which in itself is bad.. But right now there is more courage in saying NO to this adminstration then there is in saying yes. If you're so Gung-Ho why aren't you in Iraq right now? There ARE jobs over there, sign on with AAFES (Army Air Force Exchange SErvice), or are YOU to much of a coward? Don't make any excuses, please justify why YOU aren't there. Hell, I'll even send a resume in for my company and you can be up North getting shelled, and get paid a good sum of money, but... I seriously doubt you'd accept the offer. You, Maam are the real coward. Yeah, you have family in harms way, get over it.. why do you want to send another young person over there? You're jealous and petty and feel like the world wronged YOU, not your family member. I KNOW for a fact that only a handfull of the soldiers really WANT to be here, and honestly, most would be damn happy is this SOB can get out of his ROTC and NOT go over.. I see these kids go North every damn day, and wish they'd quit sending them.

As for the person wanting out of ROTC, good luck. If all else fails, try doing your commitment with another branch, you CAN do that.. I knew several guys who did at my first assignment. They did two years, even with the Air Force, but could only do a handful of jobs... Go talk to an Air Force recruiter, see if they can help you. Worst comes to worst, maybe instead of going Army, you go Air Force Officer... you MAY still head to iraq, but it might be a better gamble, and in the eyes of Miss Coward you'd still be serving your country...
Please be careful to whom you make reference here, you were responding to chrisdizz22, who said, "What a coward- I wish they would make you serve your time- or talk to the college and take your degree-- are you too good to serve your country.. please move to canada we dont need people like you in the US." Chris was in the ANG deployed 2 years and is male and fully entitled to his opinion to call the first time posted FreeGuardian a coward. Chris's comment was directed to FreeGuardian who had slinked out of his commitment essentially to use the money as a low interest loan and not specifically a response to OP.

HOWEVER, you make reference to a woman with a family member serving in harms way (bold), which describes me, accusing me of making Chris's post which wasn't even directed at OP, along with several challenges, when all I was, was sleeping. As to your challenges, yes my son is currently in Mosul and was there when it happened, luckily safe. He also served in Bosnia. My other son is a disabled vet. How dare you make such viscious and false accusations whene you make several mistakes :mad: BTW, I did work for the AAFES in 1967 and I happen to be disabled after being hit broadside by a truck and lucky to be alive, so please get your facts in order before you sling wild accusations!

However I do agree with Chris re FreeGuardian.

OP knowingly signed a contract for ROTC well into his college career and made benefit of that, futhermore, OP didn't even need the scholarship money and has it to repay, so it is not like they were some poor ignorant high school graduate trying to find a way to pay for college, they were entering their junior year when they knowingly signed their contract. Yes, I believe that entitles them to the name of coward and perhaps more.

I will be expecting some appropriate words of apology re your misdirected and false accusations.

csporluck said:

I alredy volunteered to deploy with the Kansas National guard to Iraq- but have heard nothing back from them- i dont know if its the fact that im in the iowa national guard- or what- pay me good money and id go as a civilain- but i would much rather go as a soldier

But my point is that- he volunteered to get some of his college paid for- and even knowing that he would have to serve in the military-now he doesnt want to do it-because the military is doing what it is here for- to fight wars-and he doent believe in wars- then why in the world would he join the military. Its no secret that the military fights wars and thats what makes him a coward- and you a few rocks short of a full box for trying to defend him..

scottydo

That comment is the most bogus, bs answer and definately came from someone in the military who has been brainwashed into thinking they are in some way superior to civilians. I have been there, and I know all along the way how you get taught to think you are awesome and cool and doing your country some favor. Truth is, military isn't for everyone and a quote from one of my old officers. "A lot of the military is good for people who can't manage to structure their own lives so it helps to have someone do it for them."

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That comment is the most bogus, bs answer and definately came from someone in the military who has been brainwashed into thinking they are in some way superior to civilians. I have been there, and I know all along the way how you get taught to think you are awesome and cool and doing your country some favor. Truth is, military isn't for everyone and a quote from one of my old officers. "A lot of the military is good for people who can't manage to structure their own lives so it helps to have someone do it for them."
This thread is over 5 years old...

Isis1

scott, this is a 5 year old thread. please don't necropost. thank you.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">