• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Early termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skyblue48

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? GA

Hi,

I got employed soon after graduating from grad school. Unfortunately I only lasted 4 mths and was fired on contentious performance related grounds. Prior to enrolling for grad school, I had worked for over 10 years and this is the first time that I have ever been fired. This is the only "blemish" in my working history and the job was for a short duration relative to my total working experience. In light of this, if I decide to omit my last employment from my resume, is there any way that a potential employer can find this out? Are there any public records that would indicate that I was employed during the short episode? The alternative of stating the truth seems more bleak to me as who would want to hire someone fired on competency grounds. Any advice, especially from someone with a HR background, would be much appreciated.

Thanks

BelizeBreeze

No one with an HR background OR common sense is going to tell you it's o.k. to lie on your application.

And guess what? It's very easy to find out you worked during a time when you say you didn't.

Beth3

if I decide to omit my last employment from my resume, is there any way that a potential employer can find this out? Sure. There are all sorts of ways from a formal full-blown background checks (if an employer does such checks) up to the employer casually/accidentally stumbling across that information before or after you are hired by any number of means.

Are there any public records that would indicate that I was employed during the short episode? I have no idea; that would depend on where you worked. If you're asking whether there's some data base an employer can access that lists all working adults and their employment, the answer is no.

Any advice, especially from someone with a HR background, would be much appreciated. Then it's never, ever to lie on your resume or an application form. (a) You'd be surprised how often such lies are found out, often by accident, and (b) being fired from a job won't necessarily have an impact on your future employment opportunities (depends why you were fired) but lying about your employment history most certainly will once it's uncovered.

Listen to the advice you have been given here. I don't know what Belize's background is, but I know Beth to be a competent HR professional, as am I.

So, you have at least two HR professionals telling you not to lie.

Although I know it seems bleak now, just because one employer saw you as "incompetent" doesn't mean you are. Maybe they didn't describe the job to you well enough; maybe you required more training; etc. There are any number of factors that could have led to your termination. You can simply tell prospective employers, "I was only there a short time, but it didn't take long to realize the job was not a good fit for me. I was unable to effectively use my abilities," or something along those lines. That is essentially what happened. Your former employer just used different semantics. Employees are often not a "good fit" for a job, but the word "incompetent" never has to enter into it. Perfectly competent employees can fail miserably when put in the wrong environment. Don't beat yourself up over that.

Good luck to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">