• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you have a PA "suspended" license without having a PA license?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sboyd1971

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I'm a resident of PA but have not gotten a PA drivers license. I still have my NJ driver's'license. I've gotten some tickets between 1996-1999 and have paid them all but some were paid late.

I want to go get a PA drivers license but I'm afraid that I may have a suspended PA driver's license. Is that possible?

You Are Guilty

sboyd1971 said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I'm a resident of PA but have not gotten a PA drivers license. I still have my NJ driver's'license. I've gotten some tickets between 1996-1999 and have paid them all but some were paid late.

I want to go get a PA drivers license but I'm afraid that I may have a suspended PA driver's license. Is that possible?
You can't suspend a license that isn't there, but they certainly can (and probably did) suspend your privilege to obtain one. Why not call and find out what your status is so you can take care of any outstanding payments?

You Are Guilty

sboyd1971 said:
Thanks! Do you know who I call?
Unfortunately, yes I do. Had to deal with PennDOT in a case for a friend and now I have their numbers memorized :(

Anyway, try the general number and let them direct you to the correct department: 1-800-932-4600

Bravo8

Sigh.....

Yes, you can have a suspended PA DL even if you never had an actual license.

What PennDOT will do is issue you a DL number, and susbsequently suspend it. As such, your driving privilleges are suspended, and this should be honored by every other state who is a party to the Drivers License Compact. In other words, you are not to drive, even with a NJ license.

However, luckily for you, if you paid all the tickets, then you should simply have to pay a $25 restoration fee and the suspension will be lifted (provided none of the violations carries a suspension period as part of the penalty).

You Are Guilty

Bravo8 said:
Sigh.....

Yes, you can have a suspended PA DL even if you never had an actual license.

What PennDOT will do is issue you a DL number, and susbsequently suspend it. As such, your driving privilleges are suspended, and this should be honored by every other state who is a party to the Drivers License Compact. In other words, you are not to drive, even with a NJ license.

However, luckily for you, if you paid all the tickets, then you should simply have to pay a $25 restoration fee and the suspension will be lifted (provided none of the violations carries a suspension period as part of the penalty).
While I'm am not surprised PennDOT would do something retarded like this, I do wonder how they carry out the logistics of "issuing" DL numbers to every one of the residents of PA who don't have one.

Either way, be sure to give them a big middle finger from me. They've got to be the worst state agency on the planet.

CdwJava

You Are Guilty said:
While I'm am not surprised PennDOT would do something retarded like this, I do wonder how they carry out the logistics of "issuing" DL numbers to every one of the residents of PA who don't have one.

Either way, be sure to give them a big middle finger from me. They've got to be the worst state agency on the planet.
I doubt the PennDOT issues a DL number to EVERYONE, just those that have either applied for it or been cited. It's their means of creating a file and a history for that person.

It's not that different from what every other DMV in the USA does. When caught driving in violation of that state's laws. Since the state is not equipped to track the other state's driver's license number in relation to offenses committed in the state of the offense, they issue a DL or reference number. CA does essentially the same thing - as do most other states I am aware of.

- Carl

You Are Guilty

I guess it's the phraseology that put me off - in my mind, a "reference" number is worlds apart from a "driver's license" number.

Bravo8

Sorry about that....maybe I wasn't clear enough.

I guess technically it's more like a reference number, which is the purpose of a DL number anyway. As Carl said, it allows for the tracking of the person and the offenses they are convicted of.

sboyd1971

Thanks for all your responses. I have not checked this in awhile. I've put it off as long as I can and must get a PA driver's license although I'm scared to death! Does anyone know how I would go about getting my reference number?

Happy Trails

sboyd1971 said:
Thanks for all your responses. I have not checked this in awhile. I've put it off as long as I can and must get a PA driver's license although I'm scared to death! Does anyone know how I would go about getting my reference number?
Did you try the number that YAG provided?

Also did you read Bravo8's reply thoroughly (re-read it). You need to clear this up quickly. Do not drive until you have resolved this. You will only be asking for more problems.

sboyd1971

I called and found out my “license” has been suspended twice. Once for 3 months for nonpayment of citations which have been paid and once for 1 year for driving with a suspended license. Long story short is I went through a very bad period in my life. I remember being pulled over, the cop told me my license was suspended. I told him I had no knowledge of that so he told me to drive straight home and get it taken care of. That was in 1999. Is there any way to get my license reinstated without waiting a year? I have not had a car registered in my name for a year and have not been driving. I’m really trying to make things right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">