• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VA- reckless by speed advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

distance99

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MA

I don't have a question, but my experience may help someone out:

Got caught on I-81 mile 156 (near Roanoke) doing 83 in a 65. Had an out of state license (Massachusetts). I am also a 23-year-old male and had a flawless driving record.

I was summoned to a court date in Fincastle, VA (Botetourt County).

Sat on the ticket for too long, and finally did some research and called lawyers on the Friday before my Monday court date. Apparently, this county is hard on young speeders; a lot of lawyers in the area do not fight speeding tickets in that county. DO NOT WAIT TO HIRE A LAWYER!! I called about 25 and only one was free on my Monday court date.

I found and hired a lawyer because I was uncomfortable representing myself in VA and I did not feel like heading down there again. Lawyer cost $500, but this was at the last minute, so you may be able to find one for less money... I am not sure.

Anyway, the lawyer got the charge reduced from reckless driving (83/65) to speeding 1-9 miles over (74/65). I had to pay a $100 fine plus $66 in court fees. Because I paid the ticket within 10 days, the $66 in court fees was reduced to $56.

Total cost: $671

$15 for MA driving record that I faxed to my lawyer.
$500 for the lawyer
$100 speeding ticket
$56 in court fees.

Apparently, because I paid the ticket on time, it will not appear on my MA driving record... not sure though.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks for posting your experience.

Looks like a good investment since your insurance could have more than doubled for the next three years.

D

distance99

A friend just pointed this out to me... If you live near the court house, you may want to go in a couple times to observe court procedures and watch how lawyers and judges handle similar cases. Court proceedings are public affairs and are open for observers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">