• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

45 Days to a Speedy Trial?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nice Pants

I received a Speeding ticket on 9/29/04 in California. I signed the ticket stating that I would appear in court on 11/17/04. I was present on the cited date and time, but the clerk told me that no ticket had been filed with them at this time, and that the officer had a year to submit the ticket. A week later I received a courtesy notice, stating my owed amount and traffic school information.
My question is can I move for dismissal based on the fact that I was present for my date, but the citation was not filed?

CdwJava

Nice Pants said:
I received a Speeding ticket on 9/29/04 in California. I signed the ticket stating that I would appear in court on 11/17/04. I was present on the cited date and time, but the clerk told me that no ticket had been filed with them at this time, and that the officer had a year to submit the ticket. A week later I received a courtesy notice, stating my owed amount and traffic school information.
My question is can I move for dismissal based on the fact that I was present for my date, but the citation was not filed?
You can make the motion, but the judge or commissioner is not under any obligation to accept it. Since you are not in custody, the usual speedy trial rules do not apply.

Schedule a court date if you want to contest the ticket and bring the issue up. But, expect to have to go to court on it anyway.

If you have no other defense, then you might want to consider traffic school. It is common in CA that if you go to trial, the option of traffic school will be off the table of options once you take the stand at trial - not arraignment, but trial.

Good luck.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">