• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I return wrong item to amazon.com

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tdj_tx

What is the name of your state? Texas
I ordered a factory-reconditioned vacuum cleaner from amazon.com. They sent me what looks like a new much more expensive one. It's the same brand and type, just the next model up. Am I obligated to send it back or point out the mistake? My invoice shows they shipped me the one I ordered.

You Are Guilty

tdj_tx said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
I ordered a factory-reconditioned vacuum cleaner from amazon.com. They sent me what looks like a new much more expensive one. It's the same brand and type, just the next model up. Am I obligated to send it back or point out the mistake? My invoice shows they shipped me the one I ordered.
Wow. An honest customer. You're probably not going to get a lot of responses because no one here has ever seen one before.

Anyway, while you do not have an affirmative duty to report the (potential) error to Amazon, you will be required to return the vacuum you received should they ever notice the discrepancy and ask. However, sometimes Amazon will "upgrade" your order if the model you want is no longer in stock or discontinued, which could be why you got the model you did.

Even if not, if Amazon ever notices the mistake, customer service probably tell you just to keep the thing as a matter of goodwill.

T

tdj_tx

You Are Guilty said:
Wow. An honest customer. You're probably not going to get a lot of responses because no one here has ever seen one before.

Anyway, while you do not have an affirmative duty to report the (potential) error to Amazon, you will be required to return the vacuum you received should they ever notice the discrepancy and ask. However, sometimes Amazon will "upgrade" your order if the model you want is no longer in stock or discontinued, which could be why you got the model you did.

Even if not, if Amazon ever notices the mistake, customer service probably tell you just to keep the thing as a matter of goodwill.
I don't think they would "upgrade" me to a vacuum that's $250 more than the one I ordered. I guess to be safe I should let them know. I just can't believe they would be so stupid to send me the wrong one. I mean everything is bar coded and scanned to match the invoice.

sungod916

I had an Ebay seller once send me the same 20.00 CD twice.
The 2nd one came like 2 weeks after the other.

I didn't mention anything, but i never opened it up until the auction expired after 90 days.

I figured if he emailed me about it I'd give it back, but he never did.

divgradcurl

I had an Ebay seller once send me the same 20.00 CD twice.
The 2nd one came like 2 weeks after the other.

I didn't mention anything, but i never opened it up until the auction expired after 90 days.

I figured if he emailed me about it I'd give it back, but he never did.
So, if instead he had sent you one CD, but you had sent him a payment twice and forgot (or neglected) to follow up on it, that would be cool with you too?

sungod916

That would be cool if I didn't notice it.
What harm was done to me if I didn't even notice the money was gone?

But if I asked for it back and he refused, then we have a problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">