• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filed a complaint form against a cop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

david163

What is the name of your state? NJ

After ticketed by a stupid cop, I filed a complaint form against him in the local Police Department. Can I ask them to give me a letter reply after investigation on him? I guess it may help in fighting the ticket.

CdwJava

david163 said:
What is the name of your state? NJ

After ticketed by a stupid cop, I filed a complaint form against him in the local Police Department. Can I ask them to give me a letter reply after investigation on him? I guess it may help in fighting the ticket.
Why was he "stupid"? Because he gave you a ticket?

And what is it you complained about? What policy or law do you think he broke?

And chances are that unless the department admits that he broke the law or improperly gave you a ticket, than there is nothing that will help you in court.

What happened?

- Carl

D

david163

In an intersection without traffic light, he let me pass through first and then gave me a stop instruction while my car just passed the stop line. He blamed me not response him quickly and issued me a ticket. After 2 minutes, I back to the same intersection and prepare to make a left turn. He made the same mistake! He first let me turn left but I noticed someone already blocked my way. If I followed his instruction, the pedestrians would be hit down. I did not follow him and then he noticed that. It seems he do not know how to direct traffic. Just like dancing in the dream!

D

david163

To be frankly, I did not want to file the complaint form at first. I just want to write a letter to the court to explain what happen. Therefore, I need to know the officer’s name. I went to the Police Department and ask them about the cop’s name because he did not put his name on the ticket (only signature I can not read). Unfortunately, I met a cop who refuses to tell me about it and let me go to the court to ask it. I was very angry and filed the complaint form. I think this is only one way I can do to know the cop’s name. Sounds funny?

CdwJava

The department should be able to tell you the name of the officer. But, knowing his name won't do much. You will have a chance to explain yourself during court for the citation.

And you can still write the letter to the court, just without using the officer's name. You don't need his name to explain what happened. However, I doubt the court will take the time to read your letter since the time to discuss the case will be when you appear in person - or have an attorney appear for you.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">