• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors tree fallen in our yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

klarthog

undefined
What is the name of your state?
PA
A neighbors tree has fallen mostly into our yard....Who is responsible for the removal?

BelizeBreeze

That depends. Find the two survey markers at perpendicular angles to the tree, stretch a rope between the markers and "Mark" the line where it intersects the tree.

Start your chainsaw and cut along that line. The results are, everything from the cut to the end on your property is your responsibility. Everything from the cut on the neighbor's property is their responsibility.

Oh, and any damage the fallen tree may have caused is the neighbor's responsibility.

OR, here's a novel idea. Tell them to file a claim with their homeowner's policy. :D

BelizeBreeze said:
That depends. Find the two survey markers at perpendicular angles to the tree, stretch a rope between the markers and "Mark" the line where it intersects the tree.

Start your chainsaw and cut along that line. The results are, everything from the cut to the end on your property is your responsibility. Everything from the cut on the neighbor's property is their responsibility.

Oh, and any damage the fallen tree may have caused is the neighbor's responsibility.

OR, here's a novel idea. Tell them to file a claim with their homeowner's policy. :D

Now THAT is what I call constructive advice there, BB !!

The shortest distance between two points is a strait line, great idea.

But you must admit, the word "chainsaw", coming from YOU, is at least, very amusing.

PghREA

A "good" neighbor would remove the entire tree. But, if he dosn't you can remove (and cut up for fire wood) the part of the tree that is on your property. My son lost a hugh oak tree on his property and the entire neighborhood came with chainsaws and disposed of the tree in an afternoon.
Homeowner's Insurance covered the damage.

JETX

BelizeBreeze said:
And that may NOT be true. The neighbor would be responsible ONLY if they knew, or should have known, that the tree was damaged, diseased or dead and failed (negligence) to remove the hazard. However, if this was a 'healthy' tree that fell down from an act of God (wind, etc.), then the neighbor would NOT be responsible.

BelizeBreeze

JETX said:
And that may NOT be true. The neighbor would be responsible ONLY if they knew, or should have known, that the tree was damaged, diseased or dead and failed (negligence) to remove the hazard. However, if this was a 'healthy' tree that fell down from an act of God (wind, etc.), then the neighbor would NOT be responsible.
Agreed. I have GOT to learn to type s...l.....o.....w.....e.....r

HomeGuru

Florid-aise said:

**A: what is a strait line? I think I learned about straits in geography class in grade school.

HomeGuru said:
Florid-aise said:

**A: what is a strait line? I think I learned about straits in geography class in grade school.

Thanks there HomeGuru, I'm glad that you set me straight on that one.

Whew! Needed it.

strait --- Belize --- strait ---- Belize

Get it now? Sorry for any confusion. In the words of my hero, I just need to type s---l---o---w---e---r.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">