• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just Curious

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Primal

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California.

I have worked in this Bar for 4 years
Last year approx (1.2 years) the bar changed hands.
The bar under the new management went completely down hill.
It was placed up for sale yet again.
Today I get a phone call from the bar manager that the bar was sold.
That escro was complete & the bar would be closed for at leat one month, possibly two months while renovations are carried out.

I had no prior notification that the bar would close this soon.
I was getting ready to go to work as normal.
I am now out of work for the next couple of months, not even sure if the new management are rehiring the old staff.

I worked 30 hours a week in this bar (wed through sat)

I have no problem getting another job so thats not the issue.

I was wondering what my rights are in a case like this, do I even bother worrying about it or do I take action.

Its just a plain shock.
I worked so hard to keep my regulars from leaving the bar after the last sale to the ppint that my shifts were the busiest.
I have been a bartender for 15 years & seen this coming after the proposed changes made last year by the new management, whom I might add never owned a bar before.

PS
Anyone who changes a Fairly busy Irish Bar to a cocktail lounge ONE WEEK before St.Patricks day, deserves to fail, I aint seen an idiot like that in my entire life as a bartender.

Beth3

What you do is apply for unemployment benefits and start looking for a new job. New management has no obligation to hire the former staff, so I'd suggest you not wait around to see if they do.

P

Primal

No need to apply for unemployment benefits, I've been offered 3 jobs in various other bars by owners I know & whom heard about the sudden closure.

Was just curious if my rights were infringed upon in any way was all.
Guess not. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">