• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citzen's Arrest for falure to stop for padestian

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mr._Large

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
IL

I live in IL and i got a ticket from a person that says i didn't stop for her in the crosswalk.

I can't find anything on the internet about citzen's giving people traffic tickets.....

I did find that there is a law that states a person can't step out the curb suddenly, so i have to brake harshly..... i beleive that will get me off... but any help in the citizen arrest catagory would be nice thanks,

Roger

P.S. If you would like to know more details about the inccdent please ask...

CdwJava

Interesting ... who sent you the ticket? The police, or the citizen?

I know in CA a person can make a citizen's arrest for a traffic citation, but the citation generally requires the presence of the offending party. If the suspect is not on scene, generally all we can do is 'long form' the offense as a crime report and send it to the DA for filing.

EDIT: This site, http://www.chicago-criminalattorney.com/arrest.htm says:

Any person, such as a private security guard, can make a citizen's arrest if they see a misdemeanor being attempted or committed. (A misdemeanor is a criminal offense, usually punishable with a fine or short jail term.) They also can make a legal arrest for a felony as long as it actually was committed and they have good reason to believe you did it. They must take you to a police officer or judge who is required by law to take you into custody.

So, it would seem that if the offense is a misdemeanor, it might be arrestable by a normal citizen.

- Carl

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">