• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advise needed on accident ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

s_mav

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I was issued a ticket from an accident for following to closely. If the person that I hit doesn't show up for court (which he isn't since I talked to him and he has already received a settlement from my insurance company) can I plead not guilty and have the ticket dismissed since the police office wasn't there to actually witness the accident and there will be no other witnesses to testify against me? Is it normal course of action for the court to dismiss accident related traffic tickets if both parties aren't present in court? Do I have to plead not guilty before the ticket will be dismissed?

I don't want to get into the situation were I plead not guilty and end up paying court costs on top of the ticket.

Thanks!

Steve

shappell

Pay the ticket and be done with it. Accidents are presumed to be investigated, by the responding officer. The accident report, and ticket Places YOU at fault. There is nothing you can do, unless YOU can prove the other driver was at fault. The officer need not show, and you will still lose. The accident report is considered, a sworn statement from the officer, and will hold up in court. An officer is considered, a "Officer of the court". Which means he is sworn by oath to tell the truth, when he is sworn in and given a badge, just as an attorney takes an oath to always tell the truth. His word is considered the truth by the courts. Unless you can prove otherwise.

The law requires You to have your vehical under control at ALL times. Any time you rear end someone, You are at fault.
Trust me I've been there.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">