• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability of coaches

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Peter John M

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
I am an athletic director at ahigh school and am interested in knowing the schools liability if a coach has his students do a conditioning drill for basketball which involves running up and down a flight of stairs. I believe that this is not a wise drill and would appreciate any legal opinions on the matter. Thanks

BelizeBreeze

It is a drill that has been a part of basketball AND football training since I played and that's been a few years.

I hope you have every student who participates in athletics not only go through a pre-participation physical, but also sign a liability waiver. Also, liability won't attach unless the coach or school district acts outside the scope of their responsibilities in a reckless and wanton manner.

Or do you expect your athletes to be in condition without running wind sprints ?

Happy Trails

Peter John M said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
I am an athletic director at ahigh school and am interested in knowing the schools liability if a coach has his students do a conditioning drill for basketball which involves running up and down a flight of stairs. I believe that this is not a wise drill and would appreciate any legal opinions on the matter. Thanks
I agree with BB. We ran three flights of stairs across the long hall and down them, over and over.

As athletic director, don't you have a state high school league that addresses this issue. I know our kids get sent home with papers that we (parents) sign releasing them of liability.

I also coached a summer baseball team for five years and I printed off waivers that their parents would sign. I did this to protect myself, parents did not have a problem with this; since I was volunteering my time and this gave the kids something to do in the summer.

Thank goodness nothing bad ever happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">