• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination with hiring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vntysmurf

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Utah

I just began working for a company and I am still in training, my brother came in to apply and he was told that they could not hire him because of nepotism. I do not live with my brother nor have I for four years. I understood nepotism as a family member in a supervisior position then another family member could not be hired. They told him he was qualified but they could not hire him because I worked there. So is it okay to discriminate against a person because of family members when you can discriminate against anything else? This is for a big corporation that falls under the EOE and the anti discrimination laws in Utah.

Beth3

An employer refusing to hire someone because they're related to a current employee is NOT discrimination and is not unlawful. There are no laws that define neopotism nor that limit it to the definition you have written above.

Some employers hire family members left and right; others choose not to do so at all. The bottom line is that it's entirely the employer's choice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">