• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer won't release escrow

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sylvi99

What is the name of your state? WA Divorce was in OH

Per my divorce decree:
*lawyer* shall distribute to each of the parties within seven (7) days of the filing of this Final Judgement and Decree of Divorce, one-half of said net proceeds which he is holding in his trust account.
It is past 30 days. This *lawyer* will not return my phone calls or respond to my faxes. I've contacted the local Bar Association and filed a complaint. Apart from this... what can I do to obtain my funds without costing me even more money?

Would filing a motion of contempt require me to be present for the hearing? I know filing Small Claims would, and the amount is higher than OH's limit of $3K. :(

Sylvi99

What sort of further info are you looking for?

State where divorce was filed - Ohio.

Date decree was filed - over 30 days ago (in October, 2004)

This lawyer is holding net proceeds of $XXX amount in his trust account. It is greater than $3K.

He was supposed to disburse one-half within seven (7) days of the filing.

The quote was taken directly from my divorce decree.

He's not returning calls nor responding to faxes.

Sylvi99

Oh... it was agreed between both attys that the monies be escrowed with him until the judge makes a decision as to the distribution at the divorce trial.

Does that help?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">