• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was My rights Violated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

honeyb4sure

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?South Carolina
My problem is, both My husband and I are handicapped..My husband works part-time at a Bingo Hall..On Sunday 11/28/04, He was told by the Manager to move our vehicle out of the handicapped parking, when he told her, He parked there because I had come with him, she replied, she did not care, I could walk, just like she has to, and If he parked there again, He would be shown to the door..I feel as though my civil rights as a handicapped person was violated, along with his, we both have major health problems, the undo walk was hard on me..She told him that the handicapped parking was reserved for little old ladies who really need it...I do not know what to do at this time...Any help would be greatly appreciated...

H

honeyb4sure

Was My Civil Right Violated?

Yes, We both have handicapped placards, I have handicapped plates on my vehicle and he has his own placard and so do I...It is displayed all the time when we park...

BelizeBreeze

The you need to file a complaint with her supervisor or the owner of the hall. Also, the next time you go to bingo and park in the handicapped spot and she complains, tell her "Listen, why don't we just call the police and have THEM settle this?"
I'd enjoy hearing her excuse.:D

H

honeyb4sure

Was My rights Violated

Tomorrow My husband has a meeting with the regional Manager, He is affraid he is going to be fired, when he goe to work friday evening..I told him we need to call the police, but he is scared of losing his job, it is extra income for us, since we just got married in Oct.It is keep my mouth shut of him suffer the consquences, on my behave

BelizeBreeze

IF your husband is fired due to this incident, then come back here and let us know. Otherwise, you park in that handicapped spot any time you feel the need and when you are displaying the placard and/or plates.

H

honeyb4sure

Thank You, very much for the new insight, I will let him know, and I will keep you informed if he is fired tomorrow when he goes to work and parks where he normally parks...Thank :) You so very much

rmet4nzkx

There should be some requirement for handicapped parking insofar as the minimum number of spaces alloted and if there are not enough spaces, since more would be required for the elderly population, the city government may require this building to set aside more spaces. If your husband is fired, be sure to contact EEOC.

azgrandpa

Legally, BelizeBreeze is correct. However, employers have a wide range of ways to fire a person without admitting it's because you stood up for your rights! My advice to you is that, if you are going to press this issue with your employer, then DO NOT park in the Handicapped spaces. Let your spouse off at the front door and park elsewhere. This removes the most often used excuse for firing....INSUBORDINATION!!
After you make your point with the management, then you can start parking where you want! Be aware tho' that if you ruffle the feathers of your employer enough; they will eventually terminate you legally!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">