• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short Term Disability and Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Robtate

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am currently on STD with my company with whom I have been employed for 33 years. My company is closing the local facility, and I have been told I will be terminated when the facility closes, and my STD will be discontinued. Since I am unable to work, I cannot collect unemployment either. Can my STD be stopped before I am released by the doctor? I have been diagnosed with MS and the release date is undetermined. Normally, after 26 weeks of STD, long term disability goes into effect. Since I will no longer work for the company, will I lose all my benefits even though I have been diagnosed before the termination?

Disability Wiz

Generally, if you are on disability PRIOR to termination, quitting, etc., you are entitled to continue on disability. You MUST continue to be medically disabled and unable to return to your own occupation (or any occupation after 24 months). These are general terms of most claims, but read your plan!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">