• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced reenlistment or declination of service statement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Slaynn

Im in Alaska right now but am a citizen of California and am in the US Army.

I was levied to come to Alaska without the minimum three year requirement left on my term. I notified Fort Bragg before I left there and I notified the inprocessing unit here on Fort Wainwright immediately when I got here that I didnt have enough time to fulfill my commitment. They both told me 'Not to worry about it'. I got to AK April 6th and my ETS is supposed to be December 11 2005.

The career counselor told me that I have until tomorrow (3 Dec) to either sign a declination of service statement or reenlist to cover the rest of my minimum commitment. I told him that I wasnt going to sign anything... I just want to do my time and get out. He told me that he would just reenlist me or file the Declination Statement without my signature unless I did something before the 3rd. Can he do that?

I went to JAG and they are giving me the run around. Shes had my info for three weeks and hasnt come up with any answer for me. I continually call her and try and get in to see her but she will not return my calls or tells me shes too busy. Im stuck and need help quickly please.

Thanks,
SSG

***EDIT*** Ive been in the army for 7 years

csporluck

Don't sign it, if you don't want to stay. You'll end up being discharged when your DOS is up. The military is obligated to ship you, and yoru belongings back to your Home of Records, or pay for a DITY.

The re-enlistment guy is just another recruiter.... Doesn't matter if he's recruiting a new kid or an active duty member, they all lie and will bully you into staying in.

Hope you like Alaska (I loved it and miss it).

S

Slaynn

Thats my current plan... to just not sign anything. My unit is up for deployment next summer though and wasnt sure if they could pull something out of you know where on me.

Alaska is fun... cold but fun. ;)

csporluck

The Army is pulling those type of games.

Re-enlist, or you'll be transfered to a combat unit, then deployed.. then placed in stop lost. Trying to hose people either way. I'm currently working over in the Sandbox with the Army, and alot of the Soldiers here have mentioned this mob style tactics. I'm a civilian now, by the way... so they can vent all they want...

S

Slaynn

Its, frankly, pissin me off. Ive been to Afghanistan and Iraq already. Been planning to get out and go into Law Enforcement for about a year now and they wanna pull this sillyness out. My wife is even more angry than I am and I dont blame her. Ive drug her all over the country with me and I told her we were done with it after this enlistment.

badapple40

They can only stop loss you until your IRR commitment is up. Of course, thats another what... four or five years in your case? I agree, don't sign anything. Eventually you'll win out, even if they do make you jump through hoops to get there.

S

Slaynn

Inactive Reserve commitment is 8 years total. Ill have that by the time my normal ETS date rolls around.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">