• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Error on Marijuana Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rrdrummer5

What is the name of your state? California.

Infraction = VC 23222(b)

Date of violation = 12-01-04

Court date = 01-12-04

As you can see, the officer should have written down 01-12-05. Can the ticket be thrown out or does common sense apply?

If no, this infraction was listed as a Vehicle Code violation. Will this appear on my insurance if I do not go to drug "traffic" school?

Thanks in advance.

Son of Slam

rrdrummer5 said:
What is the name of your state? California.

Infraction = VC 23222(b)

Date of violation = 12-01-04

Court date = 01-12-04

As you can see, the officer should have written down 01-12-05. Can the ticket be thrown out or does common sense apply?

If no, this infraction was listed as a Vehicle Code violation. Will this appear on my insurance if I do not go to drug "traffic" school?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you may throw out a ticket if it is not written correctly. That is one loophole in the law that almost everyone knows. Tear it up or burn it or whatever you would like, it is up to you and as long as you do not appear in court there is nothing they can do to you about it.

Good luck and have fun.

R

rrdrummer5

Im not sure if your serious or not. Your answer seemed sort of sarcastic :) When i said throw it away i didnt mean like in the trash. I meant can it be thrown out of court or whatever. There is no way for them to amend the ticket or anything? I find this hard to believe.

Is this just a California loop hole? because i have seen some other posts regarding this in other states and it seems that if it is written wrong it doesnt matter because they can change it.

Can i get some responses from other people also please?

Thanks

CdwJava

No. It just means that you would not likely be held accountable for failing to appear in court. However, the chances are real good that you will receive a corrected notice in the mail. This is a common mistake at the end of the year - and even early into the new year, so it is not unexpected.

- Carl

R

rrdrummer5

So if I didnt appear in court and received no correction letter than I would be off the hook?

If not, what are the consequences of a VC 23222(b) violation? I know that its a maximum $100 fine. Will i get a point against my license or anything? Does it go on my record the same as a speeding ticket? Can I go to drug counseling or something so that it doesnt go on my record(similar to traffic school)? Just tell me everything you know about a this type of violation lol. Thanks

CdwJava

rrdrummer5 said:
So if I didnt appear in court and received no correction letter than I would be off the hook?

If not, what are the consequences of a VC 23222(b) violation? I know that its a maximum $100 fine. Will i get a point against my license or anything? Does it go on my record the same as a speeding ticket? Can I go to drug counseling or something so that it doesnt go on my record(similar to traffic school)? Just tell me everything you know about a this type of violation lol. Thanks
You will still have to answer for the violation. They just might have a hard time charging you with a seperate offense for failing to appear on the citation.

If I were you, I'd show up on the court date anyway - why take a chance and turn a fine-only affair into a warrant?

I don't have my vehicle code handy, but I do not think that CVC 23222(b) is a point against your license. However, expect the total you have to pay to be closer to $300 after fees and assessments.

- Carl

CdwJava

Depending on where you live, it could be between $300 and $400 ... and the violation will remain on the DMV record for 7 years. And as for the point, I haven't the time or inclination to look it up at the moment, so maybe tomorrow.

But you're certainly welcome to ... try going to this site: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=06173014218+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve and searching for CVC 12810. That will give you the point information. I do not think it is worth any points.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">