• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help...ebay purchase damaged by usps

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eggwar

What is the name of your state?Hello,
I live in IL and purchased a keyboard on Ebay from a person in MA. I paid with a money order. It was shipped through USPS without insurance. The box was not marked "THIS END UP" and damages occured as a result of being shipped on its sided or upside down (internal powersupply broke free). The seller stated "no returns" on the auction page. I asked him to split the repair cost with me, but he refuses.
Do I have any legal recourse?

Thanks,
Todd

eggwar

insurance

no, he never offered, but Ebay states that it is the Buyer's responsibility to request insurance.

stevek3

eggwar said:
What is the name of your state?Hello,
I live in IL and purchased a keyboard on Ebay from a person in MA. I paid with a money order. It was shipped through USPS without insurance. The box was not marked "THIS END UP" and damages occured as a result of being shipped on its sided or upside down (internal powersupply broke free). The seller stated "no returns" on the auction page. I asked him to split the repair cost with me, but he refuses.
Do I have any legal recourse?

Thanks,
Todd
Live and learn. An eBay purchase paid by money order and then shipped without insurance isn't the brightest thing you've ever done.

ndnicks

I know from experience on this one. I sold a 32mb videocard and software disk on ebay, had the payment through paypal into my account, then mailed it in perfect working condition as pictured on the auction.

The buyer didnt request insurance, didn't request a box, as a padded envelope is a dollar cheaper than a box and padding, I quote the price difference of 3.30 (2.30 + 1.00) for both on my auctions. He requested neither one, so it was sent in padded envelope, no insurance.

It arrived broken, software disk broken in half, so he claimed. He wanted a complete refund and to send me back the broken merchandise which I refused to do. He claimed he would file with the FCC and everybody else to get his 22 dollars back. Everyone did side with me however, even though I got negative feedback from him.

I learned as a buyer, to always get insurance, and since that happened, I never fail to request it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">